RSS Feed

Benefits of Tea and Coffee

October 8, 2013 by Erica Breuninger   

Almost all of us have heard the myth that drinking tea or coffee stunts your growth. Or at least that’s what I heard when I was younger. However, having a cup of tea or coffee every day actually provides some health benefits. I know I need a coffee every morning during the week, especially when I have to get up for my 8 AM. Many people drink coffee or tea in the morning to wake up and pay attention in classes and lectures. This additional amount of caffeine not only wakes you up, but can boost your metabolism too.

teaTea has been known to rehydrate you as well as water can. It also full of antioxidants that has been said to help prevent against cancers and heat disease. Drinking tea can also strengthen teeth, because it is a good source of fluoride which helps cut down on plaque build up and the compounds found in tea fight against harmful bacteria’s,  as long as its consumed in moderation. However, researchers found that its better to drink tea black, because adding excessive amounts of sugar and milk can block the benefits of antioxidants.

coffeeDrinking moderate amounts of coffee, that is only between one and four cups a day, can really boost your metabolism. Also, some claim that coffee can actually help you avoid dementia. Researchers have found that certain antioxidants in coffee actually aid brain function lowering the chances of developing dementia and Alzheimer’s disease later on in life. The additional caffeine and disease fighting antioxidants have been found to also cut the risk of developing type two diabetes in half. With so many different flavors and types of tea and coffee, finding one you like shouldn’t be too hard either So next time you feel tired in the morning, grabbing a cup of tea or coffee to wake you up and provide health benefits.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diet-and-nutrition/health-benefits-of-tea.htm

4 Comments »

1. Kate Walker says:

I never liked tea until I came to Penn State. I get a cup of tea every morning and night from the Big O in East, and sometimes even more. I used to get coffee every morning but now I get tea instead because I like it so much more.

2. Katie Kirkman says:

I didn’t know that coffee could be good for you if you have four cups of coffee a day! I wish I liked coffee or tea but I don’t really like drinking either. Maybe I’ll give tea and coffee another try!

3. Kayla Winner says:

I wish I liked tea or coffee. I dislike coffee’s bitter taste and tea just tastes weird to me. I knew that tea was good for you, but I didn’t realize that coffee was good as well!

4. Melissa Sirken says:

I love drinking tea, I find it very relaxing after I have a cup from my dorm or from Starbucks. However, a lot of times after I drink tea I really need a nap so it does not really keep me up. I’m also not really a coffee person so i guess I’ll stick to energy drink to get me awake. It’s so good to know that there are so many antioxidants that can help your body. I might get sleepy but I think i will be drinking more tea for now on.

You must be logged in to post a comment.