Empire shows Promise for Series Spinoff’s

Lee Daniels, co-creater of family drama series ‘Empire‘, says the popular show shows great promise for possible spinoffs. ‘Fox’ clarifies that there is currently no spinoff in the works, but the possibility still remains. Daniel recently stated “I think there is going to be a spinoff from ‘Empire’ without question. There is so much ripe story [with in the series].” They could explore the background of Cookie Lyons rough childhood in Philadelphia, as well as the upbringing of her former lover and hip hop mogul, Lucius Lyon. This show has gone off to a great start. Since the show debuted on Fox on January 7th 2015, it has brought in $17.33 million viewers and earned a ‘5’ in Nielsen ratings. 

Although the show didn’t appear on cable networks in Singapore, many of my friends were tuned in by streaming. They even got me hooked on the drama, as we are all now anticipating the second season of the series. 

During an interview a reporter informed Daniels that “Empire” is the first African American led drama series to be renewed for a second season. When asked to reflect on the reason for its success, Daniels stated that “a complicated family that makes it is “the American Dream” and not just an African American story.” He also states that the world of Empire was inspired by his own life experience which makes it “inherently truthful” he says. The envelope-pushing quality of the show gave it a cable flavour that clearly clicked with viewers. 

This is true as on of the main characters, Cookie Lyon, almost crosses the line when it comes to four-letter words that are forbidden on broadcast TV. 

I can only hope for the shows continued success, and the development of this possible spinoff as it has demonstrated the ability for African American led productions to thrive on large scale TV networks.

fox-empire