These past two weekends have been just the “pick me up” I needed at this point in the semester. While the heaviness of my work load tends to come and go in waves, I tend to find myself in a bit of a lull around this time of year. We’re far enough into the semester that I can almost taste the turkey and stuffing of Thanksgiving, but still far enough from break that it feels unbearable. At any rate, it is tough for me when I start to feel like this. I realize that I walk around with this nagging feeling of uneasiness that I cannot describe adequately. I just don’t feel like myself and I am not very happy. I am also hyper emotional when I hit this lull. It seems like anything can trigger me crying or feeling even sadder. It is a weird feeling, and I often times find myself trying to pray it away as quickly as it arises. However, with a surprise visit from my boyfriend last weekend, and a visit from my brother this weekend, I feel rejuvenated and able to finish out the semester just as confidently as I started it.

Last weekend, I found myself up very early on Saturday morning. I washed my hair, did laundry, and was cleaning my room for no specific reason. It was as if something within me knew that a surprise visit from my boyfriend was near. But I didn’t know. I was just busing myself on a Saturday morning, trying to be productive. You see, my boyfriend moved to Houston, Texas after graduating from Penn State in May 2014 for work. I told him about the three upcoming exams I had, and he made a deal with me that if I finished one of the study guides for my exam by a certain day, he had a surprise for me. Saturday comes, and he tells me to check my email. He had made a video of photos of the two of us throughout our relationship. That was enough of a surprise for me! Then, towards the end, the words “Now, open your door” pop up on the screen. I started screaming and freaking out. I opened my room door, and there he stood with flowers. I couldn’t believe it, so I let the door go (without hugging him or anything) and ran to my desk to cry. It was one of the nicest surprises I have ever received. Having him here was such a joy. I can be my whole self with him, and it feel like all of my worries aren’t as important anymore. He helps me put things into perspective, and just makes me feel like I can take on the world.

This weekend, my boyfriend returned (he was actually in town on business in Philadelphia but had the weekends free to come here) and my younger brother came to visit from Ohio State University. It’s his first year there and he absolutely loves it. We have our little sibling-university rivalry going, but ultimately, I could not be prouder of him for attending the school of his dreams. He has wanted to go to Ohio State since he was 8 years old. His childhood bedroom was even painted gray and red with Ohio State Buckeye stickers all around. Back home, my brother and I had a tradition of going on brunch dates, just the two of us, to talk about things we might not talk about in our day to day lives. He shared stories about school and some of his fears. I talked about SMART and some of my worries. It was so refreshing and just what I needed. My brother is one of my best friends, so having him here was so comforting. It gave me that piece of love and comfort that I lack when I feel down in the dumps about God knows what.

Family and loved ones are so important. They seem to know things are going on, even when you do not tell them. They show a certain love for you that is not easily described but hard not to feel. Having my boyfriend and brother here was just what I needed. Being able to talk to them, spend time with them, and hug them was so comforting. They are two of the most important people in my life because they understand me the best. These past two weekends have been a dream and just what I needed to keep going. Their words of encouragement and confidence in my ability to succeed reminds me that I do have what it takes to finish out this semester strong and accomplish all that is set before me.