Last week, I watched American Sniper in theaters. Having read the book, I had high expectations for the film. It exceeded them. I was not surprised at the widespread positive reception. Many, in fact, said that the intense, emotional roller coaster left them speechless as the credits began. I was not even surprised at some negative commentary; it’s understandable if someone simply did not like the movie. What aggravated me, though, were those who criticized Chris Kyle himself. Some of the accusations of cowardice were so baseless that they do not deserve a response. Yet here I am.

After seeing the movie, Michael Moore tweeted: ““My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren’t heroes. And invaders r worse.” Here is an example of individual who knows nothing of war, yet he pretends to. Now, I have very little knowledge of the military, and I would not dare to judge Chris Kyle because I have no idea what I’m talking about. But at least I admit this lack of understanding. Moore thinks he understands. He calls Kyle a coward for risking his own life to defend American soldiers but probably considers himself a hero for having the courage to put forward a controversial tweet. Disgusting.

Though I don’t know much about the military, I did read Kyle’s book as well as numerous other books about Navy SEALs and special operations in general. Even this basic, elementary, objective understanding confirms the stupidity of Moore’s arguments.

First of all, Moore implies that Kyle is an assassin who is looking to kill. That is not true. His role was to protect American convoys. For example, he gunned down terrorists who ran out of their houses with guns and charged Marines. He was not roaming around the city looking for an innocent to shoot in the back. Moore seems to suggest this.

Second, “coward?” That kind of rhetoric is unbelievable coming from a lowly film producer who’s riskiest daily endeavor might be walking across the street with the “do not cross” sign lit. Compared to Kyle, Moore knows nothing of danger. Chris Kyle willingly put himself in very dangerous situations for the sole purpose of protecting others. Oftentimes he was alone. The enemy put a bounty on his head, yet he continued his work because he so deeply believed in the cause and cared about his fellow soldiers. Even when he was between deployments, Kyle wanted to go back because he felt that American troops were in danger without him. I watched one interview where he said he loses sleep not over those he killed but those he could not save. Coward?

What’s truly disheartening is not the opinion of one misinformed individual. It’s the fact that his tweet got thousands of likes, and millions might even agree with Moore. So let me get this straight: a man whose philosophy was “God, country, family” is being criticized by the “iPhone, iPad, i-whatever” generation? Something does not add up.

I have a lot more to say on the subject, and I could probably articulate this stream-of-consciousness-type argument better. But I refuse to give Michael Moore and those like him any more of my time and energy.