I had no expectations in regards to what I may experience in Birmingham, Alabama. Frankly, I had none of any of the cities on the Presidential Leadership Spring Trip itinerary – except for Washington, D.C.! Family trips to visit the state capital encompassed my Southern-most physical memories. On a mental level, I admit that I hardly remember the secondary sources from my middle and high school educations that focused on the African-American Civil Rights Movement. And primary sources? I was neither that fortunate or unfortunate to have had a taste of what was dished out to the African-Americans by one who partook in the events.

I find myself fortunate to have attended the workshops to prepare the Presidential Leadership Academy students for the unfortunate events that took place in a number of stops we would make on the way down South. As previously mentioned, I had no expectations of Birmingham; however, what I experienced was certainly unexpected! If I were asked to describe Birmingham in one word, I would choose “devout”. I had not anticipated the silence in the city . . . Can it be a city without the hustle and bustle of pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorists?!

Upon reflection, I came to the realization that the silence is not to be taken as ominous but auspicious. The silence is the absence of noise and the presence of God. Although I do not affiliate myself with a religion, it is clear that the citizens of Birmingham do! A couple of PLA-ers and I were drawn to the 16th Street Baptist Church at noon: the beginning of the Sunday service. Speaking for myself, what I found to have drawn me inside was the sense of community within. The smiling faces that accepted you no matter your religion (or lack of one); the inspiring hymns that brought you to a higher level . . .

I am proud to say that I took part in the offering at the 16th Street Baptist Church before stepping back onto 6th Avenue North. Once I physically stepped back, I took the time to mentally step back to reconsider devoutness. On a religious level, the city of Birmingham took on the appearance of a ghost town on Sunday – citizens take on the role of churchgoers and “OPEN” neon signs take on the message of “CLOSED”. On a secular level, the citizens appear to be devoted to recognizing the tragedies and the victories that took place in Birmingham, Alabama.

One of these tragedies is the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing, which took the lives of Addie Mae Collins, Carol Denise McNair, Carole Robertson, and Cynthia Wesley. One of the twenty-two injured was Sarah Collins Rudolph, Collins’ younger sister, who lost her sight – not her life. Rudolph is an exemplar of a citizen of Birmingham who shows devotion in spreading the stories of the Civil Rights Movement by recounting the tales of the past. Listen to NEWSWORKS’ “’63 Birmingham bombing victim shares story of trauma, pain and inspiration with Philly kids” to hear her story.