I had a few situations that disappointed me this week, and I’ve got to admit, I was pretty hurt. The first situation was certainly not what I had expected, but I came out with my head held high and a happy-go-lucky attitude. The second one beat me down a little more, and the third one had me so close to tears that I had to take a fifteen minutes to practice pranayama (3-part breath) to soothe myself. I think part of the reason that I was upset was because I didn’t want to be disappointed, and I resented my disappointment for so many reasons.

First of all, I hate the word disappointment. Absolutely detest it. The idea of disappointment, to me, assigns culpability to the person feeling that emotion by insinuating that he or she has expectations that are too much to be filled. When I feel disappointed, I feel like I’m blameworthy for having this emotion, like I shouldn’t be able to lean into my feelings because I’m the reason for them. I feel as if I’m a complainer, that I don’t appreciate all that I have and am instead dwelling on all that I haven’t. In the end, the word connotes to me that I don’t have a right to my emotion, and that’s what I truly hate most about disappointment.

I also hate the word disappointment because it reminds me of all the times that I have been disappointed, in others, in myself, in the world. It makes me sad to dredge up past instances that have saddened me, the kind of times that give you a lump in your throat just by thinking about them. Thinking about these previous instances feels like living the disappointment all over again, and I doubt anyone wants to relive painful memories of the past, and nor do I.

In thinking about disappointment this week, however, I realized two things that have made me feel quite a bit better about how to deal with disappointment. One, by feeling blame for my feelings, I am not in fact feeling the extent of my emotions. This keeps me from moving on with my life and really improving my attitude because I push the emotion away, feel that it is not worthy of being felt. Two, the moving on part really is important too. I can let myself feel disappointed fully and without abandon, but I have to find a way to pick myself up–and sometimes that is harder than other times, but there are things and people that can help me. I have friends and family that love me and who will talk to me about my feelings. I have hobbies that keep me happy. And most of all, I have resilience that I have practiced for years that has taught me that when times are down, the light is just around the corner.