This is my blog post from last Wednesday when I was visiting Auschwitz in Poland.

Today was the first day that we would be confronted with a truly heavy Holocaust topic. I knew that walking in Auschwitz would be a very emotion and real experience, but I was not prepared for the actual experience. The first thing that I was surprised by was how well constructed the Auschwitz compound was. My image of the compound was poorly, quickly constructed log cabins that inmates lived in, but instead I was greeted by structurally sound brick barracks laid out in a symmetric grid. The amount of planning that had gone into this complex of enslavement was not what my mind was ready for. The minor phycological details that the German’s planned into the complex to fully break the prisons was also something that I was not expecting. Walking into the prison cells in Building 10 and hearing that specific torturous uses of each cell was another level of awful I was also not expecting. However; the thing that finally took me over the edge was the display of the hair cut from the heads of women before they entered the gas chamber. This was partially a sanitary reason and partially a way to make burning the bodies easier, but worst of all the hair was then sold. German manufacturers would buy the hair by the pound to use to make fabrics. The whole process of this transaction deeply bothered me. That someone would buy human hair because it was cheap material is probably the least moral business decision that a company can make. Having a business ethics class at school made me think about all the things that had to be wrong with a company for this to develop into an acceptable business practice. The complete cultural anti-Semitism that had to be present for this to be a valid business transaction is mind boggling. Shaving the head was only the first step in disrespecting the dead. The bodies were then striped of any valuables, including gold teeth. The bodies were then shoved into a crematorium to be burned. Finally, the ashes were thrown into a pit so they could be hidden. This goes against everything in Jewish culture and religion of the belief that Jews must be buried intact to reach heaven. So not only did the Nazis kill the Jews they would disrespect the body in a way that the family felt they were screwed in the afterlife. Receiving all this information at once but me in shock for the rest of the day. I had never had such a negative, but informative afternoon in my life.