I learned quite a few things over the course of our trip to Seattle. To name a few, I realized that life plans are never set in stone, there are so many things to do in the world that I have never even considered, and that I am in love with the city of Seattle. In just 4 days that seemed to blow by, I encountered some of the most interesting people and places. Not to mention, I thoroughly enjoyed every piece of food that I consumed, and I consumed A LOT.

We had the great opportunity to hear from speakers from all backgrounds, including project managers from Xbox, creators of a startup company, and managers of tech consulting companies. Although the trip was generally more business and technology focused, I gained a lot of info as a Biobehavioral Health major. It was nice to hear that almost every speaker changed his or her career path multiple times. They stressed the importance of doing things you enjoy, rather than sticking with a company or career that will give you the most money. In particular, Dan, a project manager at Xbox, said he frequently thought about whether or not his job is doing any good for the world. In order to give some meaning to his work, he wants to help create games for those with mobile disabilities. He really exemplified the idea that dedication, compassion, and creativity can go a long way.

On the last day of our trip, we went on a tour of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Visitor Center. Honestly, I never really was aware of what type of philanthropy the Gates were involved in, but the foundation is amazing! It encapsulates everything that I want to do in my life. The Gates work to help underserved populations worldwide in all areas, including education and health. I would love to work for this non-profit one day, and after the visit, I wondered how I would accomplish that dream.

After the visit, we went to talk to the founders, Mohit and Jeff, of an awesome tech startup called Karat. Oddly enough, Jeff previously worked as the Chief of Staff from Melinda Gates! I was in awe of his career and was so grateful to be able to talk to him about his experiences. Who would have thought that the co-founder of a tech startup would have a connection to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation? It just goes to show that there are so many different paths to take in the future; exploring those paths is essential.

Aside from the speakers and tours, simply wandering around the city of Seattle was fantastic. I love everything about the city. The people are kind and progressive. The streets are clean and the environment is a priority. The seafood is incredible. The rainy city on the west coast now has a special place in my heart. I am endlessly thankful to Ed and Helen Hintz for creating this opportunity. It was a trip like no other.