With spring break just two weeks behind us, and summer only a few weeks ahead, trips abroad have been a reoccurring topic of discussion. This May I will be travelling to Arusha, Tanzania with the Humanitarian Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship (HESE) Program at Penn State. After purchasing my plane tickets to Arusha earlier last week, the once distant trip is now becoming more of a reality than ever. Interestingly enough, this will be my first time off of the continent and my “second” experience abroad… if you count a middle school family trip to Niagara Falls and Toronto as abroad. Either way, I am very much anticipating this trip, as I am incredibly excited to experience a new culture, working with students in Arusha, and researching the region’s brick making process.

Just this weekend, at a small theta class meal, we were discussing ‘voluntourism’ and the perceptions associated with studying abroad. We noted (both jokingly and seriously) that when many students go abroad, they come back saying how much they “helped the children so much” and so on. In HESE and in this dinnertime talk, we’ve discussed that this is the wrong way to go into a service/research based experience abroad. In HESE we learned that many volunteer trips end up being very ineffective, sometimes even disrupting the local economies because of the introduction of many free giveaways. In many of these cases, tourists/outsiders project what their perceived needs of the local people are, and act on those (often false) perceptions. Rather than actually learning and working with the local people to create effective, sustainable solutions, many relief or volunteer agencies end up wasting their resources, making false promises, and in some cases creating unnecessary dependencies on aid.

Through HESE and my travels to Arusha, I will try my hardest to not fall in these voluntourist traps – while the work I am doing in Arusha has a possibility to one day create value for the end user, my experience in Tanzania will not be one of an American savior, but instead of a college student eager to gain a newer, more worldly perspective. I am very glad that HESE has revealed many of the downfalls of volunteering, and instead has promoted the importance of working with locals to devise effective, sustainable, and impactful solutions.

Also, if you are interested in travelling to Arusha, Tanzania this May to gain some great field work and research experience, let me know! Our professor has some funding available to be able to bring more students than anticipated!