Last night was the Black Student Union’s Black Girls Rock event. This event was designed to acknowledge black women on campus for their service to the community and highlight women performers. I was selected for the Michelle Obama Award (Woman of the Year) from exemplifying service, leadership and academic achievement found in the other awards. This collective award was a staple in my career here at Penn State.

The event was filled with great dinner, singers, poets, and dancers. We had time to reflect on all the wonderful accomplishments of so many beautiful black women n campus. For those of you who may be oblivious to the intersectional odds stacked against black women at this university, spaces like the one last night were crucial. Black women helping other black women is healing, and during this period in time healing is important.

I’m humbled by winning this award as a sophomore and will let this push me to keep up the work I’m doing for my women. I will continue occupying spaces that weren’t made for me. I will continue to insert my narrative when it isn’t asked for and I will also continue to relentless in everything I do. I’m just getting started.