I love the idea of trying new things like a new meal, but when I walk into a restaurant I usually end up ordering one of the same few meals I like on the menu. I always have the intention of trying new things, but sometimes it’s just easier to keep eating my favorite few dishes from the restaurant. Whenever I actually do try something new I usually end up liking it.

This same philosophy of having the intention of trying something new, but sticking with what I know I like has come into play this past week in regards to our Penn State fitness facilities. During the year, I always work out in the White Building because I live in Atherton Hall. It is much more convenient to go to the White Building because I don’t have to waste anytime walking there. However, during the summer the White Building is always closed, so I have to stray from it every summer I am at Penn State.

Last summer I learned to love the Rec Hall gym. It has a modern look, and a very nice wall of windows overlooking the soccer fields on the west part of campus. However, this summer, Rec Hall’s hours are very limited. It is only open for two hours a day (11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.), only on weekdays. These are definitely not ideal hours for anyone who works during the day.

Since I am rarely out of lab by 1:00 p.m., I have had to stray once again from what is familiar to me and try the IM Building fitness center. I have been very reluctant to try the IM Building gym because during the year it is very out of the way, and last summer, I lived significantly closer to Rec Hall. However, I have had no choice but to go to the IM Building to run and lift this past week.

I was shocked when I walked into the IM Building. It is so nice and modern inside. It has the nicest layout of the three gyms on campus, and it is a much more expansive facility. I had no idea that the IM Building has a large indoor track which is perfect for running on if it is raining during the summer. I ended up liking the IM Building gym so much that I honestly wish it was next to Atherton Hall so I could use it during the semester. If any Penn State students or faculty are reading this, I highly recommend the IM Building fitness center.

This is another example of me waiting to try something new only to love it. I definitely will be more eager to try different things after this experience, especially during times of the year when I have more free time like summer.