This past week I finished my SOC 467: Law and Society course. I now only have one elective 400 level Sociology class left in that major. It feels really odd to almost be done studying Sociology at a college level. I love it. I find it so interesting to learn about. Every Sociology class I have taken I have been genuinely interested in, even required classes like SOC 207: Research Methods in Sociology.

As my Sociology coursework comes to a close in the fall, I still have my Immunology and Infectious Disease major coursework just picking up which I am very excited about. I cannot wait to get more involved in my major specific classes. I love general biology, but I think I will be even more engaged in smaller classes with more specific topics of study. I have chosen two very different majors at Penn State, but I love them both for different reasons.

Earlier this evening, I was walking around with my roommate watching all of the summer LEAP students move in to their dorms. I cannot believe it has been almost two years since I was moving in for SHO TIME. As a rising junior, the advice I would give to any incoming freshman is to choose a major that you love doing. Many people will say not to pick a specific major because there are fewer job opportunities when you graduate. However, if you are truly passionate about something, you will make it work. You need to be able to acknowledge that it may be harder to find a job, but that it is completely worth it if it is something you will truly be happy doing.

No one aspires to have a monotonous job that they will be miserable doing, so never settle for the safe option. It is logical to have backup plans for your future, but try what you are passionate about first. Money isn’t everything in life, so choose a major based on what will make you the happiest not the wealthiest, and do not let anyone tell you differently.