I watched another TED talk this week, and this one was by a younger person with a lot of understanding of how to live life. She was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at birth and was given a life expectancy of 10 years old. Now at 20 years old, she owns a nonprofit helping kids with Cystic Fibrosis and is a motivational speaker at various events around the country.

What I liked most about the beginning of her talk was she was not going to tell the audience how to be happy. Most inspirational talks from someone who is sick or is going through something hard talks about how amongst the sadness there is always something to be happy about.

However, Claire Winehand had a different approach to her story.

She went on to explain the exhaustion from taking care of her disease. How in some sense, there is guilt thrust upon her if she doesn’t do her treatments correctly or if she doesn’t take her medication every day. And if she were to end up in a hospital for having another episode, she would feel that it is her fault for not taking care of herself effectively.

She realized throughout her life that it was a constant battle, but she was defying the odds and living past her prognosis.

So Claire had a hunch about living with CF. That it isn’t necessarily about trying to find the good in every day. It’s about embracing the pain.

Without pain, you can’t be a stronger person. But Claire explained that pain is what makes life better and it makes you to want to go out in the community and give something of yourself to make your life worthwhile. She used it as amo to be the person that her younger self would have looked up to. That someone who is sick has done something despite it to better other people’s lives. (Thus her nonprofit was established to help other kids with CF)

But I thought this recognition about pain and suffering was interesting because I always thought about it like the rest of the population. Despite pain, there is always something to be happy about. But if you embrace your pain and accept it, not only are you not hiding the truth about your feelings, but you’re becoming a stronger person because of the acceptance. That you know there are hard times, but life is a roller coaster and there isn’t one streamline to live by.

So no matter if you’re having a bad day or you’re diagnosed with a terminal disease, I’ll now know to embrace the pain to understand that it’s normal and I’ll be giving myself dignity to my life. I’ll have a life that is full of ups and downs and truth to every day. And perhaps this approach can be applied to any leadership involvement. You’re going to have to learn how to lead different groups of people, but also to learn how to develop your leadership style. By accepting faults and mess ups, you’ll have a genuine understanding that there isn’t a “correct” way to be a leader.