I want to throw away my phone. I will never seriously do it, but I sometimes get really tired of always being connected. A lot of the time, I find myself scrolling through Facebook on my phone and realize that I don’t care whatsoever about what I just read. Do I really need to know that the receptionist from my eye doctor went grocery shopping over the weekend? Is my life objectively any better because I know that my one friend just had sorority recruitment? I don’t think so. I get frustrated when people are overly despairing about how social media is ruining our society, but I feel that I’m not enough out of having Facebook, Snapchat, etc. that it’s not really worth my time. And even though I don’t care what my friends post on Facebook, I still find myself incessantly scrolling when I’m waiting for the bus or when I’m bored in math class. I saw an interview with Ed Sheeran a couple months ago where he discussed how getting rid of his smart phone freed his mind to spend more time thinking and less time scrolling. While I’m not a ginger British pop star, I similarly feel that spending time on your phone is taking away from time that you can be thinking about things that truly matter.

During the summer following my freshman year of college, I made a big point of maintaining Snapchat streaks with 10 of my friends. My prevailing thought was, “If I don’t snap my friends from Penn State every day, then we’re not really friends and we won’t be friends when the fall semester starts again.” By July, after 2 months of sending idiotic snapchats every day for the sake of maintaining a streak, I realized that I don’t really care. I don’t need to be sending dumb photos every day to my friends to prove that we’re actually friends. And if I did have to do that to maintain a friendship, then that’s not a solid relationship. True friendships can withstand not talking for more than 24 hours.

With the unveiling of the new generation of iPhones this past week, I kind of realized that it’s not important to me to have the most up-to-date phone. I recognize the value of having GPS technology and access to the Internet in the palm of your hand, but a large part of me wants to switch to a “dumb phone.” If I could get by with minimal texting and calling capabilities, I feel that I would be significantly more engaged in my daily life; instead of looking down at my phone, I would look up and experience the people and events surrounding me. I know it’s cliché but I think there is a lot of value in living in the present, and when we spend all our time on social media, we live online.