As I enter my last week as a Penn State student I have been reflecting a lot on the path that has brought me here. I did not want to go to Penn State.  Most State College Area high school graduates do not want to stay in State College for any longer than necessary.  However, I chose Penn State because my dad was very sick and I had spent my senior year in Philadelphia hospital oncology departments, or taking on the role of a “less-fun” mom to my three young siblings when my mom would take him instead.  I grew up so much from the age of 16 to now 22 (in two days).  When I turned 18 my parents finally gifted me the role of legal guardian to my siblings if anything were to happen to them both.  Something I had wanted since becoming a sister because I never thought anyone could raise them except my dad, mom and myself.  We were a team for 21 years and that is why I chose Penn State.  

I entered Penn State reluctantly.  I really loathed high school and the thought of seeing the 400 people from my graduating class on campus made me nauseous.  But I cannot imagine myself anywhere else.  Penn State fostered an environment where I started to find myself and created a home within the communities I joined.  It was Penn State that pushed me to join a multitude of organizations.  Opportunities like working for EMS and for the Office of Digital Pedagogy and Scholarship allowed me to work 40 hours a week without feeling like the whole world was crashing down on me, but gave me the financial independence I had always wanted.  Penn State let me be the daughter and sister I knew I needed to be.  Through my class schedules every semester I was able to always schedule with days off in my week to allow time for chemo trips with my dad, and while they were depressing on a whole other level, served as the time I needed with him before saying goodbye.   

For me Penn State offered something greater than awesome study abroad trips, internships and new found friendships, which all occurred as well.  Penn State gave me two and a half more years with my dad and for that I am forever thankful.  Almost a year ago I hit low point.  It was Penn State that gave me something to keep busy with and keep my mind off the terrible aching I felt every morning when I woke up.  The ache is still there, but I know I will be okay and that is something I have learned over the years.  Things may absolutely suck, but all pain is temporary.  

I am forever grateful for my university and the support I received while I was here.  I am so looking forward to the next chapter of my life and wherever it may take me.