One day I was scrolling through the discover page on Instagram and a post from an inspirational quote account came up.  It said something along the lines of “Don’t always wait for the weekend – you should be waiting for the week, so you can continue to do what you love.”  I stopped for a little bit to think about what this quote meant to me.

In my health class, we learn about different way to reduce stress, since the collegiate environment is such a large producer of stress.  One of the ways that we were told to deal with stress is by trying to change your mindset about something that is causing you the stress.  For instance, if you are stressed about something at your job, then you may be able to think about how this experience is teaching you new things that you can apply to situations that you run into in the future.  This might make things just that more bearable for you.

I’ve been taking this advice to heart, and tried to use it to tackle the looming, stress-inducing demon that is awaiting – Finals!  Since finals have always pretty much been the worst, I thought that maybe changing my mindset about them would allow me to think that maybe they weren’t the worst things ever.

Going back to the quote, I realize that I need to achieve a couple things before I can start to do the stuff that I actually want to do, the main one being getting a degree.  In order to get a degree, I have to do things that may not be the most fun, such as taking a final.  I mean sure, finals will probably cause people a lot of stress, but then you’re done and you’re one step closer to achieving your goals and doing what you actually love to do.  No matter what you want to do, there will probably be something along the way that is going to be annoying and cause you stress, even though you know that you probably will never need to do it again and it probably doesn’t even matter that much in the end.

I’ve used this ideology to put finals into a positive perspective.  Instead of getting stressed about them, I think about how I’m one step closer to achieving my goals.  Putting the positive spin on finals has so far allowed me to be almost excited about the feeling of relief I will have after them.  Much less scary!  So, I encourage you to try to do yourself a favor by motivating yourself and keeping your end goals in sight this finals season, so that you can someday stop living for the weekend and start living for the week.