I recently had the opportunity to spend time hearing the stories and ideas of some leading students on campus at the 6th annual State of State Conference at the State Theatre. Described by Executive Director Clare McHugh, the conference “[serves] as a platform for actionable ideas and discussion regarding the state of Penn State…”, and aims to, as highlighted by this year’s “State of Change” theme, bring about tangible changes from those ideas and discussions. Bhavin Shah, who for the last year has served as the Speaker of the Assembly for the University Park Undergraduate Association, spoke about “Inclusivity and How it Applies to International Students”. Knowing Bhavin, I was naturally excited to hear his opinion on how the University can take better steps toward including the international student population in conversations and progressive action on campus.

Now, it should be noted that this was probably the ninth time hearing Bhavin recite his speech and his thoughts, as I had listened to him practice in the hours leading up to the event. Nevertheless, I was glad to hear Bhavin advocate for those who have often been left behind in important discussions and decisions centered on diversity and inclusion here at Penn State University, as I know he has a vested interest in those he spoke for through his prior service as the chair of the Outreach Committee in the UPUA. Highlighting some projects the committee is currently working on under new leadership, Bhavin noted Penn (State) Pals, an up-and-coming mentorship program to help international, transfer, and exchange students get a leg up on life at University Park before they arrive, such as increased awareness of job opportunities on and off campus, advice on academics and professional pursuits, and the fostering of a meaningful relationship with someone who has a vested interest in your own success.

Although this is just one of the many ways in which student organizations are working to ensure that all have an equal chance at success here at Penn State—academically, socially, and financially—I’m glad that State of State invited us in to hear the different perspectives of their speakers, and I’m glad to have seen Bhavin advocate for those who have been historically voiceless. There are few more noble things a person can do.