Essay # 2 Outline (Should the Minimum Wage be Raised to $10.10?)

The two articles I will be using are:

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/02/15/obama-challenges-congress-raised-minimum-wage-they.html

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/02/03/why-obama-minimum-wage-proposal-will-hurt-working-poor/

Intro Paragraph: I will introduce the topic of both of these articles: the effects of increasing the minimum wage. My thesis will state how both these articles are slanted and opposite in their opinions on whether or not the minimum wage should be raised to $10.10.

First Body Paragraph: I will talk about the first article, “Obama Challenges Congress to Follow His Lead and Raise the Minimum Wage”, and explain the rhetorical techniques used (such as word choice and tone) to try to convince Americans that raising the minimum wage is the right thing to do. I will talk about the video in this article which features President Obama talking about how raising the minimum wage will help the low-wage earners in America.

Second  Body Paragraph: I will talk about the second article, “Why Obama’s minimum wage proposal will hurt working poor”, and likewise explain the rhetorical techniques used in it to slant Americans against President Obama’s executive order to raise the minimum wage. I will also talk about the video embedded in this article that features an interview with two Republicans who believe that raising the minimum wage by nearly 40% will only lead to higher unemployment.

Conclusion: I will end my paper by restating the thesis. I will restate the rhetorical techniques and messages displayed in these two contrasting news articles.

2 thoughts on “Essay # 2 Outline (Should the Minimum Wage be Raised to $10.10?)

1. This can be a great paper. So far your idea and topic are great. Just make sure you hit all points when you actually write the paper.

2. This is a good skeleton for your paper! Try to include at least one more paragraph in the body if possible so that the paper won’t seem too abrupt.