Passion Blog

Up

When I was a little girl, I used to look up at the sky and see gigantic balloons floating around. One thing I never knew was that it was actually possible to go up into these giant balloons.

Going up in a hot air balloon is something I have wanted to do since I was about ten, and figured out that yes, those are actual people up there. This weekend at the homecoming game, as I was tailgating, I looked up and saw a hot air balloon and thought to myself right away-YES, I need to add this to my bucket list.

Hot air balloons consist of a wicker basket underneath the gigantic balloon shape to carry people; a bag that contains heated air called the envelope, and a source of heat (usually a flame). The envelope is the big colorful shape that is seen in the sky. The envelop can be a regular balloon shape, or even something as fun as the shape of a monkey. The envelope is made mostly from rip stop nylon or dacron fabric except for the part that is closest to the flame. The part closest to the flame is made out of Nomex- a fire resistant material.

Going up into an air balloon is not for everyone. However, don’t let the fear of getting hurt stop you. There are many aspects of hot air balloons that keep you safe. AND don’t worry; it can’t go up past the atmosphere. Each system has two fuel burner systems, two fuel tanks, and two hoses to ensure a safe landing even if the first system doesn’t work. There is always a fire extinguisher on board to take care of any mishaps. There is a drop line (basically a gigantic rope) that is mandatory on every balloon contraption. This is used to help people guide the balloon down to safety if there were any issues. Other things on board are a first aid kit, fire blanket and rescue knife.

As far as the people on board, there are regulations that must be met to make sure everyone is safe. Pilots wear protective gloves also made of nomex as well as clothing made of either natural fibers or wool. This is because these materials will not burn, but only singe if exposed to an open flame. Pilots almost always require their passengers to wear clothing similar to this to be extra careful. It is also required that both the passengers and pilot wear helmets.

When it’s time to land, there is a crew on the ground ready to help promise a safe landing. The ground crew wears gloves and sturdy shoes, but usually doesn’t have severe safety issues. They use the drop line to help guide the balloon down onto sturdy grounds. This can sometimes cause rope burn or muscle aches.

Flights vary from about 45 minutes to an hour and half long and companies charge about $175-$275 dollars per person. It is costly, however indeed worth the amazing experience to cross off your bucket list. A hot air balloon ride is an exhilarating experience and can be done just about anywhere you desire. I personally would pick somewhere interesting such as in France or Las Vegas, or somewhere I have never been rather than my hometown; however, the choice is yours! Next time a hot air balloon is in the sky, imagine yourself in there. It would definitely be the experience of a lifetime.

2008_NJFOB abs_front hot-air-balloon-31 montana-hot-air-balloon-rides-01

5 thoughts on “Up

1. Sam Owen

This is a really cool blog! I’ve never really even considered going up in a hot air balloon, but it seems like it would probably be a cool experience! This really explains how they work and materials used, and it gives a great overview that I never would have known!

2. Taylor St. Clair

Just the other day I saw a hot air balloon and thought, “wow I would love to be up there overlooking Happy Valley.” I love how you include prices and other details that go into hot air balloons. Great job!

3. Justin Niestroy

I had no idea how much preparation and thought went into flying hot air balloons I just thought they turned on a fire and went up. I would love to try riding in one some day preferably like you mentioned somewhere new and exciting. I think around the Grand Canyon would be amazing to see from above.

4. Kelly Nolan

I like how you provided a detailed description of all of the technical aspects of hot air balloons. I never knew there was so much that goes into it! But I definitely agree with your idea of wanting to do it in France or somewhere you’ve never been. Seeing a new place from the sky in a hot air balloon is the coolest way to explore somewhere new that I can think of!

5. Abby Lavelle

Your bucket list is full of the coolest activities! I would personally never want to go in a hot air balloon, I’m perfectly happy here with both feet on the ground but its still a cool idea. I never realized how expensive it was to do this either!