Civic Issues Blog Week 10

I honestly have enjoyed doing these civic issues blogs on Marcellus Shale. I must admit I’m actually a tad disappointed this is the last one I will be writing. In the first post I discussed the issue as a whole. Hopefully anyone who read it learned about what exactly Marcellus shale is and the reason why it is so controversial in Pennsylvania and surrounding states where the rock formation is (or will be) drilled for its massive natural gas reserves. In the last two posts I discussed both sides of the issue, between those who want to restrict drilling and its harmful potential to our environment, and those who just want to “drill baby drill”. In this last post, I’m throwing out the rhetoric, and looking at a responsible way that we could utilize this great energy potential while keeping the environment as safe as possible.

Map of natural gas drilling wells. The orange dots are wells that have violated environmental standards, and the extent of their damage.

To say that natural gas drilling does not affect the environment is an ignorant statement. In the above image we see how many drilling wells in the state have been reported for environmental violations (in orange) and the are that they have affected. So regulation of these drilling practices and strict standards must be put into place to protect the environment from suffering the destruction it felt under the coal mining and steel mills that once dotted Pennsylvania. Already, effect standards have been put in place by the Center for Sustainable Shale Developement, a group which both environmentalists and gas companies have come together to work towards common interests. It is a 12 person panel consisting of four environmentalists, four gas representatives, and four independent representatives that are looking to responsibly drill for natural gas and reduce and eliminate any negative consequences of Marcellus shale drilling. The group will require gas companies to hire independent reviews of their drilling practices.  Additionally, new standards including limits on emissions of methane, reductions of the flaring of unwanted gas, increased monitoring and protection of groundwater, improvements of well designs, stricter wastewater disposal, using less toxic chemicals in frack water, and seismic monitoring before companies begin drilling have been agreed upon by the group. I know there are some environmentalists out there who will feel either that this is not enough, or that gas companies will disregard these restrictions. However, with such energy companies like Shell, Chevron, Consol, and EQT participating and looking for the groups seal of approval, it seems that this coalition is a significant step in the right direction. Besides, these restrictions proposed by this independent group are stricter than state and federal standards, and they were agreed upon by the gas companies participating.

Center for Sustainable Shale Development

However, there are still out of state companies, and even in state ones like Range Resources that have yet to, or will not sign on. What should be done about them? Well the first step should be to make state regulations as strict as the Center for Sustainable Shale Development’s restrictions. Some companies may just choose not to drill in Pennsylvania, but it will only be their loss. But this is not enough. The process of hydraulic fracturing at its very core still has a potential to cause environmental problems. Thus, gas companies must look at safer, even biodegradable frack water additives. Already, Haliburton (another large natural gas company) has developed a new formula for its fracturing fluid, which contains only additives that are used in processed foods and is environmentally harmless. Other companies like Baker & Hughes and Flotek have developed alternative fluids that use chemicals found in toothpaste and citrus fruit respectively. That’s not only impressive and promising, but it means that these gas companies are willing to do what ever it takes to drill for marcellus shale responsibly.

Who would have thought that citrus fruit could play a role in cleaner Marcellus shale drilling?

As previously stated though, this alone is still not enough. Drilling companies must be required by regulation to test the water of surrounding wells and streams before drilling, which at the present time is not required. Also, more treatment plants must be built to effectively treat the flowback water. This will be costly, but if a reduction in drilling must happen in order for these plants to be put into place, then there will be far less environmental infractions and the economic outcomes for the region will still be just as great.

Cross Creek Lake: This is part of the watershed that I did science experiments on Marcellus shale drilling.

I got into this issue and have followed it since I was a freshman in high school. As a fly fisherman and conservationist, the Dunkard Creek fish kill shocked me, and I became devoted to making sure that such a gross disregard for the environment would not occur again. I did three scientific experiments on the subject in high school which I got awards for in the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science and the Pittsburgh Regional Science Fair. I want Marcellus Shale drilling to revitalize all of the little towns that have suffered since the absence of the steel and coal industries, but not at the expense of nature and the safety of the people of the region. Geologists say that the Marcellus shale formation could yield natural gas for at least fifty years, and hopefully by that time we will see economic rebirth of the depressed little towns who once thrived on coal and steel jobs, an environment that is still just as healthy as before, and renewable energy sources in the region.

This entry was posted in CI, Civic Issues and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.