7 Songs from “Sweet Talker” You Need to Hear

Jessica Ellen Cornish, or as we better know her, Jessie J should be studied because she does things with her voice that shouldn’t be humanly possible. Her pipes are unmatched in today’s industry. You can go nowhere on earth and find a skinny white girl that can belt so powerfully and effortlessly as her. jessie-j-performing-live-19

She has been singing since early childhood playing Brat in a production of “Whistle Down the Wind” on London’s West End. She attended the Brits School with other future superstars like Adele Atkins and Leona Lewis, appeared in a girl group during her time there and put out solo music with Gut Records right out of high school. The label died soon after her first songs were released and so took the copyrights to the songs she had helped write down with them. Jessie went to America, played a showcase and was immediately signed to Lava Records under the Universal Music Group, hooked up with pop genius Claude Kelly and wrote her debut album “Who You Are” (one of my personal favorite albums of all time) containing hits like “Price Tag” and eventually, on the deluxe edition released a while later, “Domino” skyrocketing her into the spotlight globally. Her fast fame put down roots across Europe, Asia and Down Under but our diva did not quite break onto the American pop front (an iron door with at least forty locks) even with two number one hits here.Me Meeting Jessie J

Her most recent album was able to do that for her. “Sweet Talker” with the leading single “Bang Bang” featuring female pop queens Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj boosted Jessie J and her unbelievable voice which is now audible on every pop radio station. She managed her first headlining US tour this past Spring to sold out crowds and rave reviews. She is a Brit Award, iHearRadio Music Award, EMA, and six-time MOBO Award winner, Grammy nominee, has played everywhere from the Olympics to Madison Square Garden, and all she has to say about it is “I just love to sing”.

Jessie-J-Sweet-Talker-Saudi-Arabia-Edition-2014-1200x1200

1. “Aint Been Done” is a pump up song if there ever was one. Jess proclaims that she’s “gonna do it like it aint been done” and “get gold medals”. This opens up the album and sets the fun badass tone for this rebellious R&B pop masterpiece of an album.
  2. “Get Away” is a beautiful ballad we assume to be about her relationship with fellow performer Luke James which was apparently rocky before they came out to the public as a couple.
  3. “Strip” a blast of a song that wasn’t originally supposed to be on the album but snuck its way out to the public and was added to the end by popular demand.
  4. “Said Too Much” has received some radio play but is the least popular of the radio songs on the album. It is a theme that harkens back to one of her first hits where she admits to her having a problem with oversharing to a point where it can hurt others.
  5. “Seal Me With a Kiss (feat. De La Soul)” a fun R&B jam with a great feature.
  6. “Personal” yet another song where Jessie explains her oversharing problem. Though the theme is old the song is absolutely beautiful and my personal favorite on the album.
  7. “Sweet Talker” is about picking up a guy in a bar. It is an amazing song that showcases Jessie’s range and ability but not sure what I think about it as the title track, meaning to set the tone for the album which isn’t really about guys in bars, but who cares it’s a hella jam that no one can’t rock out to.

Photo sources:

1. http://www.josepvinaixa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Jessie-J-Sweet-Talker-Saudi-Arabia-Edition-2014-1200×1200.png

2.  http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/wennpic/jessie-j-performing-live-19.jpg

Tags: ,

4 comments

1. You had a lot of images in your post which made it more engaging. I’ve heard Jessie J songs on the radio and she sounds good so it’s interesting to be exposed to more of it. Your picture with her is really cool, you’ve met a lot of celebrities.

2. I’m not much of a pop fan, but I like reading about a star’s rise to fame. As a singer myself I can appreciate the skills famous people have, even if I’m not into their style. Really funny since I’m mainly into EDM, which a lot doesn’t even have lyrics! Really interesting, and I hope you post about other stars in the future>

3. You can tell from your post that you truly are passionate about music in general as well as Jessie J. I like that you give some descriptions of the songs you recommend, I will definitely check them out!!

4. Although I consider myself a country music fan, your passion for Jessie J is encouraging me to take a listen for myself. Similarly to Jessie J, I think Carrie Underwood (one of my personal favorite artists) has unbelievable “pipes” that leave the audience in awe. I am going to check out your top 7 songs during the next free time I have!