Be My Eyes App – Seeing with new eyes… Literally.

“It’s my hope that by helping each other as an online community, Be My Eyes will make a big difference in the everyday lives of blind people all over the world”– Hans Jørgen Wiberg, Founder of Be My Eyes

Be My Eyes – Lend your eyes to the blind

My seeing with new eyes blog usually has to do with seeing from a different perceptive or seeing with fresh, unclouded eyes; usually I recall instances where I look at everyday occurrences with an open mind an a renewed outlook. However, this week I am taking the “seeing with new eyes” quite literally.

Check out this new app Be My Eyes! Basically the purpose of the app is to quickly help those that are blind with simple daily tasks that may be nearly impossible due to their lack of sight; with the use of this new app you are their eyes.

eyes

With the hopes to work with those with disabilities in the future as an occupational therapist, I am fascinated by the new technology that continues to better integrate people with disabilities into the community. A person who is blind and is struggling with a task such as seeing if a carton of milk is expired or where the correct button is on the thermos stat or where the correct train terminal is can request assistance through the app. The challenge they are facing can be absolutely anything at all; help will always be milk cartonprovided. On the other end, a volunteer (someone who has signed up as a person who can see and is willing to help be the eyes for those who cannot) receives a notification on the app that their help is needed. If they accept the request, a live video will connect the volunteer to the person who is blind that needs assistance or a question answered. It’s as simple as that.

Now, I know what you might be thinking – blind people should not be given all of this attention and treated like they are not able to function. They are just like everyone else. So true! Those that are blind do not need much help at all as they are perfectly capable navigating entire cities on their own, playing instruments, workings. There are commonly thoughts that they should not be treated any differently as they are perfectly capable individuals where blindness is not their only identifying quality. I am in total support of increasing people with disability’s independence in all instances possible, yet if we want to admit it or not this world is still created for those that can see. Sure modifications are being made here and there, yet, there are still little challenges that those that are blind have to face quite often and are often overlooked by the majority of the population that can see.

Everyone needs a little help every once and a while. Be My Eyes has that in mind as their goal – to provide that little bit of help those that cannot see might need. As Hans Jørgen Wibergteam-1, the founder of the app, is blind himself, his motives are genuine and close to home. This app is taking full advantage of the positive aspects of the growing technology that we have in our society today to help better the lives of others. Literally, seeing with different eyes. Pretty perfect, huh? 🙂

Now, I know I may have claimed in the beginning that I was writing about seeing with new eyes in a more literal sense, but the more and more I think about it I realize that as my knowledge expands and my eyes are opened to the little difficulties people that are blind have to face on a daily basis, I have a totally new perspective. Even if it is just for a couple of days while this topic is on mind I may be more likely to realize how our world is catered towards people like me who are able to see. How do they cross college ave? How would a person without sight see the PowerPoints during a lecture? We may want to treat people with disabilities as exactly like us, as we should because they should not be defined by their disability, it is important to take notice that the way they live their lives may be extremely different to us, yet totally normal to them.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/eyes-helps-guide-blind-iphone-video-call-function-article-1.2083796

http://www.bemyeyes.org/

3 thoughts on “Be My Eyes App – Seeing with new eyes… Literally.

1. I actually downloaded the app as soon as I finished watching the video and I can’t wait to give it a try! I’m majoring in Rehabilitation and Human Services (RHS), so treating those with disabilities just like you would with any other person is a very persistent topic we discuss. When we first talked about how the world really is made for people who can see, I’ll admit I was a little mind blown. I had never thought about that before but it’s completely true! And unfortunately, people who are blind are really some of the only people who take notice of it. The RHS class I’m in right now really does open my eyes to a whole slew of new perspectives.

2. I think there is a difference between treating people differently because of their disabilities and accommodating someone’s disabilities. I agree that we do not need to treat the blind any differently than people who are capable of seeing; their disability does not define their capabilities and personalities. However, I can only imagine how difficult is can be to be blind sometimes, so I think this app is a great idea to help the blind when they need it. It is certainly geared towards empowering them and simply making their lives easier. This is a really great idea and I hope it gains popularity and success!

3. I think this is the coolest app- even though it helps blind people perform simple daily tasks, it encourages people who can see to realize just how dependent we are on our eyes. And more generally perspectives. I think it’s great that people are taking time out of their lives to help navigate those who have more difficulty fulfilling everyday tasks. I personally can not imagine being in the routine I am now without sight. However, I do agree that blind people aren’t any different from people who can see-they’re just forced to form their perspectives of the outside word using different sensors. So even though our world isn’t necessarily built to accommodate those who can’t see, its amazing how technology is challenging how we define our outlooks.