Final Reflection

As an incoming freshman last year I can honestly say initially SHO TIME was not my favorite experience. Already being extremely nervous and overwhelmed, I felt even more overcome with a roller-coaster of emotions during the first few days on campus. Between the meetings about the academic requirements, panels on internships, and talk about a thesis, I thought there was no way I could do it – there was no way I could have fun as well as succeed in the honors college. The mentors were the ones that totally changed those negative thoughts.

I specifically remember feeling comforted that first dinner with my SHO TIME mentors and group. There was this sense of confidence that emanated from my upper-classmen mentors that enveloped me in a maternal embrace; I felt at ease. That was my goal of this past SHO TIME for the 2015-2016 school year. I wanted to be the support system that the freshman desperately needed.

From the start I made it my sole intention to create an environment that made my mentees feel a comfortable sense of relaxation. With the multiple academic meetings drilling in requirements and expectations, I wanted our group time to be the opportunity to step away from all of that, take a deep breath, and relax. College is not only about the academics, and while SHO TIME also does an informative job of conveying a fun aspect of the Honors College, I found that many of the new students focus their attention on the requirements, etc. causing overwhelming anxiety.

I think that one thing my co-mentor Marisa and I did well was connect with our mentees on a deeper level to be that rock that incoming students need when entering a new, unpredictable place. We focused on stressing the fact that we are there for them no matter what. No matter what. Whether they need a box of tissues when they are sick, a hug when they are homesick, or a friend to go to dinner with. Our last dinner together was really special as we spent about two hours just talking – talking about college. That’s really what it is all about. They really just want to know how to survive college. As a sophomore, I am not very much older than them, however, SHO TIME this year provided an environment where I could use my experiences I have had so far to just be a guide – a friend.

What I enjoyed most about SHO TIME this year was being able to make that intimate connection with fellow scholars. I was honored to be able to be one of the first faces they would meet upon arrival – the first friend. We were there for them with open arms when they were thrown into this new world. I loved every second that I got to help advise, counsel, and guide my mentees as well as other Schreyer freshman. I felt a great sense of accomplishment when I saw them work up the courage to go and talk to other freshman or sign up for a new club or jump into a game of Frisbee in the courtyard.

The overall sense of accomplishment when I realized the amazing things that this program did to incorporate the new students into the Schreyer Honors College and Penn State in general was what I enjoyed most about the entire experience.

One thing that I would like to see improved upon in the future is the coordination of the meals. I understand that it is very difficult to get people to follow the waves assigned to the minute, however, I think that the assigned food waves need to be reinforced further. The people with the later waves ended up waiting in line for a very long time due to the fact that people had not waited for their assigned time and went too early. In relation to this, I think that the dinners on the first two nights can be improved upon. Although difficult to accommodate all of the students in the buffet, the dinner options were not very well balanced meals. I would suggest more variety in vegetables and fruit be provided.

Overall, I think that SHO TIME 2015 was a roaring success. I can honestly say by the end of the week I saw friendships formed and confidence gained. Walking around campus the first day of classes I was lucky enough to see a few of my mentees and the second we spotted each other we ran up and gave each other a hug. The final promise they made to me was to give each other a hug or high five whenever they see each other around – a little reminder that although SHO TIME might be over, we are still always there for each other.