NOTE: Admission will begin again in Winter 2019
For admission to the Graduate School, an applicant must hold (1) a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or (2) a tertiary (postsecondary) degree that is deemed comparable to a four-year bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution. This degree must be from an officially recognized degree-granting institution in the country in which it operates. Applicants are expected to have one undergraduate course in Statistics or work experience where statistics are used.
Students who do not have a GPA of at least 3.0 will be considered on a case-by-case basis depending on the quality of their overall application. Work experiences will be considered for applicants who have more than two years of experiences in a related field. Applicants who are still completing their baccalaureate requirements at the time of application may be admitted to the Graduate School provisionally, pending the award of the degree.
Language of Instruction
The language of instruction at Penn State is English. International applicants must take and submit scores for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System), with the exceptions noted below. The minimum acceptable score for the TOEFL is 550 for the paper-based test, 213 for the computer-based test, or a total score of 80 with a 19 on the speaking section for the internet-based test (iBT). The minimum composite score for the IELTS is 6.5.
International Applicants are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement if they have received a baccalaureate or graduate degree from a college/university/institution in a country where language of instruction is English.
Core Application Packet and Graduate Certificate Admission Requirements
- Completed official online Graduate School application and payment of a nonrefundable application fee (in the short term application fee waivers are possible, please contact the program for additional information).
- A 2-3 pages essay articulating career and educational goals that demonstrate the student’s written communication skills and basic statistical knowledge/prior course work.
- A current curriculum vitae (vita) or résumé.
- Three letters of recommendation that attest to the student’s readiness for graduate study and document the requisite of minimum of two years of work experience. Letters must be submitted through the online application system. Within the online application you will be asked to enter the names and email addresses of three individuals who will be providing your recommendation. Those individuals will receive a note via email asking them to complete a brief form that will serve as your recommendation. Please inform all recommenders they must submit the form in order for your application to be complete.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended.
More information is available through our Penn State – World Campus website.