The Graduate Certificate in Applied Demography is delivered online through the Penn State World Campus. The certificate is designed to provide training in demography with an emphasis on applications in the public and private sectors. The program is designed for working professionals who are seeking to apply demographic analysis to enhance their careers, support organizational goals and objectives, and better understand and anticipate population change. This program is ideal for market research analysts, marketing specialists, and local, state, and regional planners.
Required Courses (12 credits, 3 credits each)
- Principles of Demography
- Demographic Methods
- Applied Demography, Data and GIS
- Applied Demography in Practice
More information about the required courses can be found here.
Applicants are expected to submit the following:
- Completed official online Graduate School application and payment of a nonrefundable application fee.
- Statement of purpose: a 2-3 pages essay articulating career and educational goals that demonstrate the student’s written communication skills and basic statistical knowledge.
- A current curriculum vitae (vita) or résumé.
- Three letters of recommendation that attest to the student’s readiness for graduate study and document the requisite minimum of two years of work experience. Letters must be submitted through the online application system. Within the online application you will be asked to enter the names and e-mail addresses of three individuals who will be providing your recommendation. Those individuals will receive a note via e-mail asking them to complete a brief form that will serve as your recommendation. Please inform all recommenders they must submit the form in order for your application to be complete.