Psychology that WORKS for your Millennial Employee

In the early child education field as a whole, there is currently a significant concern for employee turnover. While I have worked with the same company for ten years I seem to be an exception. Many of the employees who choose to work with us are looking for just a temporary or part time position while they continue their education or after they have retired from a different field of work. Once they finish their school or retire completely they move on to the next stage of their life. Another problem with retaining employees is the popular opinion that early learning providers are simply “babysitters” and it is an easy job. If you can imagine caring for 30 three year olds or 12 one year olds with just one co-teacher then you already know how easy it is! However, sometimes it takes awhile before our shining energetic new employee realizes this job isn’t for them and once again we are at a loss. Unfortunately, it isn’t possible to offer the employees competitive enough salaries or benefits to match the school systems or larger companies. So what is a business supposed to do?

There is more behind an organization then the amount of money their employees earn, the key is finding what motivates and builds loyalty in your particular team. As new studies have found, the one-size-fits-all approach to benefits and incentives doesn’t work on the emerging generation of workers. The new age of the workforce has learned what previous generations never did, life is too short to spend it all at a job. “Millenials desire more than just money, material goods, and time off. More than any previous generation, they are in searching of meaning in their work. The likelihood of a Millennial staying in a work environment in which they are not shown the bigger picture or the opportunities that lie ahead for them are slim.” (Millennials Will Work Hard, Just Not For Your Crappy Job) What does this mean? That organizations need to change how we treat staff and look at them as partners instead of just workers and social psychology has plenty of ideas for that!

Where do we start? It can be challenging to revamp your environment and training techniques especially after years of success. Gaining the loyalty of your new Millenials may seem impossible, but it really just takes a few basic steps. Let’s begin with what they want, empowerment. Unlike the rumors that spread about them.. Millenials are ready to work and just as anxious to make a real impact on our world; they just want to know WHY.   “Explain in detail why you do things the way you do. Nothing is more common and more frustrating than the “because that’s the way we do it around here” response when someone is struggling to understand the reason for a particular system or procedure.” (Millennials Will Work Hard, Just Not For Your Crappy Job.) The Social Exchange Theory teaches us that our interactions with each other can be considered exchanges or transactions. Employer interactions are no different. While informing staff about policies or discussing concerns, be sure to demonstrate reciprocity. Millenials appreciate when their boss and management teams use positive, open body language with encouragement instead of just criticisms.

Millienials also like to feel as though they are in control of their future and are entitled to have more. With the Observational Theory in social psychology, staff can be encouraged to display the ideal workplace characteristics, if the same are being modeled for them. If employees are shown positive advancement opportunities, highly dedicated and motivated management teams and an attitude of high employee moral in their peers will encourage new employees to feel the same. Additionally, using self-verification theories to build an understanding of what your workers are looking for and providing opportunities can optimize the loyalty of your team. For example, since we know this generation is driven by hands-on knowledge and instant feedback; provide paid days to attend workshops or conferences for them to obtain new knowledge and then allow them to take the lead bringing it back to the workplace. Not only will they feel they are gaining a lead in their knowledge, they also will relish in the chance to be in the spotlight. From these opportunities new titles can be developed such as “Training Manager” or “IT Specialist” that are not usual departments in small businesses but can give these employees the sense of belonging and extra responsibility they are searching for.

Reference:https://medium.com/swlh/millennials-will-work-hard-just-not-for-your-crappy-job-82c12a1853ed

1 comment

1. As a Millennial this struck some points with me, I am very much willing to work hard just not at a place where I will be abused. No surprise that at my first professional job, I ended up being apart of the yearly mass exodus after two years and I had learned all I could enough to move on to the next place that would hopefully teach me more. Long story short it’s taken years for me to meet a boss who leads by example, and I’m still working my way towards meaning, but that’s why I’m in school to increase my credentials.