Dark Side of Social Media

Social media has given us the opportunity to communicate around the world. We can talk to someone across the country or hemisphere with a touch of a few buttons. With so much positive coming out of social media many don’t realize there is a dark side, and many are being affected. Cyber bullying is one of the main negative aspects of social media. In a world that can make a video go viral in matter of minutes it can alter the life of the recipient.

So, what exactly is cyber bullying? This is a form of bullying similar to what happens in social environments. The main difference is that cyber bullying happens of electronical devices, social media, and text messaging. (What Is Cyberbullying) Cyber bullying is harder to see and if the individual being victimized does not speak up it is difficult to aid. Cyber bullying is becoming more common and steps need to be taken to minimize exposure. Anything posted on social media is open to the public and parents to have discussions with their children to help protect them.

1,089 11 to 25-year old’s where surveyed and half said to have received negative commentary. (Social media firms ‘failing’ to tackle cyber-bullying. 2018, February 26) The troublesome information the survey released is that two-thirds said they would not tell their parents if something upset them online. (Social media firms ‘failing’ to tackle cyber-bullying. 2018, February 26) Kids try to handle these situations on themselves but if they don’t receive the proper help the problem keeps getting bigger and bigger. This is when individual become secluded and depressed, slowly they start to shut everyone out of their lives.

Social media is a great asset to have, it is a great tool to use for collaborations or network. What people need to keep in mind is that like everything there are negative people out in the world and many feel brave or superior sitting behind a screen. Media has created a culture that many try to mimic and if a person does not necessarily fit that description they are seen as an outcast. Re-posting and sharing information that is meant for entertainment when it affects an individual is what these social media companies need to keep track of.

Social media firms ‘failing’ to tackle cyber-bullying. (2018, February 26). Retrieved October 19, 2018, from https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43197937

What Is Cyberbullying. (n.d.). Retrieved October 19, 2018, from https://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying/what-is-it/index.html

Tags: ,

2 comments

1. Cathryn Forrest

Cyberbullying is so real and having two children in middle school, I hear so much about this. I do agree with you that social media can be used for positive information but unfortunately, some have taken to hiding behind their screens, and ridicule and destroy to whom they have a target for and make accusations about whomever the victim is of untrue and/or false information. Which in turn, affects the victim of choice with unthinkable consequences. All that information that has been written about them, will always be there for all to see. It’s unfortunate.
    If social media, electronic devices, social media, and text messaging are used for the right reasons, can be useful to get out any kind of information at a fast past than ever before.
    Unfortunately, bullying, of any kind within the social media range has been prevalent as word passes not only from all involved but to others to see by the texting and messaging. Which can then affect others’ who thought this would be cool to victimize someone to actually spreading wrongful information as there is a lot of attention they may get if they proceed. Even some, think its cool or it makes them feel cool and superior. Which we all know is not the case.
    This is a great topic of discussion to keep bringing up as we need to put an end to cyberbullying.

Great Post!

2. Benjamin Kendall Soltero De Martin

One thing that concerns me most about “cyberbullying” is the idea that these victims can not escape the terror, as it follows them wherever they and their phone may go. I remember several times when I was growing up when another kid did not like me. I may have had some type of insult directed towards me at school, but it ended when the bell rang and I made my way home. Today, the continuous connection that we have with each other provides the possibility of endless attacks as long as all parties are connected online.

Recently, my coworker shared with me the difficulties that her daughter has had in being bullied over the internet. According to her, applications such as Snapchat now provide another level of concern as the abuse can be quickly deleted by the aggressor. This worrisome factor makes holding the bully accountable more difficult, as the evidence is usually erased within seconds.

It seems that as social media and “cyberbullying” continues to evolve, it will be up to our communities to figure out how to address and adapt to this social dilemma.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts this week,
    Ben