Meanspo and Thinspo

(My post can be triggering if you have had an eating disorder so please don’t read if that is the case)

“Tumblr lets you effortlessly share anything. Post text, photos, quotes, links, music, and videos from your browser, phone, desktop, email or wherever you happen to be.”

Often described as ‘microblog’ tumblr is a place where people can post anything they want. What is interesting is that Tumblr has a younger user demographic in comparison with other social networks. Whats also interesting is that there is a problem on Tumblr with blogs that promote anorexia and bulimia. Such a big problem that the site had to announce a new policy against “self-harm” blogs stating that from now on, Tumblr will moderate blogs that “glorify or promote anorexia, bulimia, and other eating disorders”

Pro-Ana blogs are still easy to find on tumblr. A whole community of people glorifying being eerily thin though “thinspo” and”meanspo.” Thinspo is often images of women with thigh gaps, protruding collarbones, rib cages visible through their clothes, gaunt cheeks, and  hollow eyes. Living skeletons.The blogs are filled with quotes revolving around how no one will love you unless your thin or how the only way you will ever be at peace is if your thin enough. There is also “Meanspo” blogs in which is people cruelly tell each other they are worthless if they eat, or gain weight, using words like fat cow and gross pig. Also featured on these blogs are a ton of tips on how to purge, count calories, use laxatives, trick your doctor in regards to weigh ins… All of it very disturbing. All of it not content that you would want impressionable young people exposed to.

The problem with media is that it creates access to literally everything. I am not one for censorship but I do think that certain content can be very harmful, especially to younger people and to the more vulnerable individuals of a population.

I had an eating disorder when I was younger and I still have a lot of issues when it comes to self image when it relates to size. These blogs prey on people who need help and who are on a self destruct course. I especially was very disturbed by “meanspo” which is just people being cruel to those who need support the most.

I think that social media sites should be required to monitor the content they allow to be published. Its good that Tumblr now has a policy against posting blogs that promote self harm but I also think that more needs to be done when it comes to protecting young people from some of the very harmful content that is easy to access online.

Im honestly not sure how this can be done without crossing the line of censorship but with this new world that we are now in of instant information and access, something does need to be done in order to protect those who are more vulnerable and fragile.