Adjusting to Being Away

As I have almost made it through my third week of college, I find myself finally adjusting to living away from home. At first I had a lot of trouble being away. I missed my family, and my friends and all I wanted was to be at home and not be living three hours away. But after visiting home both weekends that we have had, I finally am starting to not miss it. This weekend I will be staying here and I am excited for that.

Another challenge I have had to overcome about being away from home is my loneliness. I still struggle with this sometimes. Its hard to meet new people and try to make new friendships in a place that you are not used too. A lot of times all I wanted was to have my friends here to do something with because I felt like I knew no one, and was so alone. I felt like no one from home even missed me, I haven’t gotten a text from any of my friends back at home besides a few. But after feeling upset and alone for a few days, I realized that I can’t let my friends at home and my home sickness make me miss out on the opportunities I have sitting right in front of me at PSU. So I have started looking at school in a new light and realize that I am only lonely because I chose to dwell on missing home. But now I am looking forward to making Penn State my new home and make everyday count and have the time of my life.

One thought on “Adjusting to Being Away

1. rdn11

I know lots of students feel exactly the way you do. So, why not all get together for an old-fashioned slumber party, junk fest eating girls’ night! Just invite folks over and have a blast! I believe that you have to “bloom where you are.” I tell my daughter that every day. Bloom where you are. You got this.