The Definition of Healthy

lifting-300x300

I feel as though often times the definition of healthy is broken down into body parts.

“She’s got a flat stomach.”

“His biceps are big.”

“She has a thigh gap.”

“He has a V.”

Notice how all of these properties are heavily looks based.  Nothing about how that individual feels. The way someone looks isn’t always an indication of how “healthy” they are.  There should be greater importance placed on living a healthy lifestyle because it feels good. Not because it necessarily “looks good.”

Not all people who are thin are healthy and not all people who are heavy are unhealthy. According to Time Magazine,”In a new study by U.S. and European researchers,published in the European Heart Journal, overweight and obese people were found to be at no greater risk of developing or dying from heart disease or cancer, compared with normal weight people, as long as they were metabolically fit despite their excess weight.”

So why are we so look obsessed? Why is the best motivation for people images of thin people. These images of thin people currently go by the name of “fitspo” and this “fitspo” is greatly changing the way humans view health. How healthy is fitspo’s most popular quote “strong is the new skinny?” It’s not. This quote is often on the picture of someone who is one body type, one ideal of beauty.  This image spreads the word that this is the only type of beauty acceptable by today’s standards.  Once again, causing women to strive for unrealistic beauty goals.

The key is to focus on the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, not making a connection between health and body shape. Fitness shouldn’t be driven by “obtaining a beach body.” Fitness is centered on increasing your resting heart rate.  It’s about reaping the benefits of those endorphins you get every time you work out. It’s about getting up and getting active, maybe being better than you were yesterday by no one else’s standards but your own. Create your own definition of health. You need to be your own #fitspo.

This is a concept I struggle with too.  As a fitness instructor my view point on it has greatly changed.  I aim to not work harder to burn more calories so I look good in a bikini.  I have to remind myself that I’m running to decrease stress, I’m cycling because I like feeling like my legs are strong when I’m done.  I like to lift because I don’t want osteoporosis when I’m older.

It’s hard in present day society to keep all of this in mind.  Believe me, when all your friends are working out for bikini season it’s hard to think past bikini season to think of the other reasons you work out. But it’s necessary to seeing your body in a positive light.  It’s okay to be content with the weight your at, how your legs look in shorts.  In fact, it’s healthier to be content. Stop dieting, start leading a healthy lifestyle that works for you.

So self reflect.  Why do you work out? What’s your motivation?

Do you work out for the right reasons?

3 Comments on The Definition of Healthy

1. Amy
    April 27, 2015 at 12:20 pm (9 years ago)

@hvk5099 I definitely say embrace the “man’s back” comments. Thigh gaps definitely do not exist. @nsm5146 I struggle with that too. It’s definitely changed over the years though through good habits.

2. hvk5099
    April 22, 2015 at 12:52 pm (9 years ago)

I agree 100% and then some. I’m always annoyed when my friends tell me I have a “man’s back” because of all the lifting I have to do for my sport. And honestly, does a thigh gap even exist? Feeling healthy is what should really matter, otherwise we get too caught up in other people’s image of beauty, and that’s not cool.

3. nsm5146
    April 22, 2015 at 12:41 pm (9 years ago)

I can DEFINITELY relate to struggling between the right and wrong reasons to work out. When I first started to work out, it was all about losing weight and changing my body. But now that it has become such a habit, I realize how good it makes me feel and I can’t go a day without it- not because I have to, but because I want to!