I’ve been getting tired of my lifting plan. Same things every week and every week I find myself less inclined to complete it. I’ve been with the same plan for a year, upping weights and lowering weights lifted according to if I have stuck with the plan in the past couple weeks, just to fall off again.
Lifting is one of the most important things you can do for your body. Not only does it burn fat while building muscle but it has long term effects like preventing osteoporosis.
5 Quick Tips on Lifting
1. It’s quality over quantity. Form is way more important than any other component.
2. Increasing the amount you lift every couple weeks will help you build more muscle.
3. Rest 1 to 2 minutes between sets to be able to perform the next set more effectively.
4. Lift 3/4 of the maximum weight you can lift with one rep. Do 3/4 for 8-12 reps. If you’re not lifting enough, you’re not working muscular strength, but rather muscular endurance.
5. To fuel your workout, you should be eating 15 g of protein before a workout (so greek yogurt, cottage cheese, 2 eggs)
5. As a recovery, it’s recommended you eat 30 g of protein within an hour after working out, 20 g if it takes you two hours to get to eat. (so a chicken breast, protein shake…)
Needless to say, in order to restore my lifting enthusiasm, I need to get a new plan.
And da da da duhhhhhhhhhh! Here it is… I’ll be starting it on Monday, as soon as this pneumonia is combated and conquered. This is only week 1-4 and 5-8 the reps get less (6-8) instead.
I’m striving to build more muscle because I want to. I love the feeling of looking bad ass. And with staying at Penn State all summer, teaching classes, interning, blogging, and hopefully finding part time work… I can spend more time lifting.