Staging is based on a numerical scale ranging from 0-4. Zero would be when breast cancer is caught in its earliest stage and is usually most treatable. A 4 would be a later stage and more aggressive treatment is necessary.
- The breast cancer consists of a single lump with no metastasis . The tumor is considered to be in situ.
- The tumor measures about 2cm (it has not spread outside of the breast tissue.
- the tumor measures between 2-5 cm long
- it may have begun to metastasize into the lymph nodes surround the breast tissue.
- divided into 3A, 3B, 3C based on severity
- 3A is larger then 5cm and has spread to 1-3 lymph nodes
- 3B is any size tumor that has spread to the tissues and lymph nodes
- 3C is any size tumor that has spread to more than 10 lymph nodes
- has spread to many parts of the body including lungs and brain
- most severe case
Mayo Clinic Staff. (2014, November 20). Breast cancer. Retrieved August 29, 2015.