Browser and Browsing
1. The recommended browsers for ANGEL are according to http://kb.its.psu.edu/cms/article/6:
• Internet Explorer 7, 8, and 9 (download) If running in IE 9, please be sure that you’re running in compatibility mode by following the instructions here.
• Firefox 3.6 , 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 15 (download)
• Chrome 16 and 21
• Safari 5 (download)
* There is currently no support for Safari on a mobile device.
*Please be aware that using unsupported browsers may cause problems in data submission and it would be impossible to recover lost data. Therefore, it’s crucial to use the correct version of recommended browsers especially for online test or survey. For more recommended configuration of each browser, please visit http://kb.its.psu.edu/cms/article/6.
2. The default browser on Behrend computer lab machines is IE9. If you prefer Firefox, follow the following steps: click on – All Programs – Web browsers, Email, and Plug-ins, Firefox, and then Firefox *.*.
3. If you use IE, you may see a security warning window like the one below (captured from IE 8), you must select NO in order to continue normally (rearrange items, visit external web sites, etc.). If you already clicked on Yes once, this window may not show up for you again so that you can choose No. If that happens, please clear the browsing history, exit IE, reopen IE, log back on to ANGEL, and then it would be displayed.
The easiest way to avoid this inconvenience is to use Firefox version 3.* to 10 or 15.
4. Do NOT use multiple browser tabs to browse or edit multiple ANGEL courses or sections no matter which browser you are using. It will create errors.
Courses and Registration
5. Not all instructors use ANGEL for teaching or posting grades. If your instructor does not make the course active, you will not be able to see the course when you log on ANGEL. So don’t panic when you can’t see a course you have registered, check with your instructor first.
6. All course registration or add/drop have to be completed by the student through eLion https://elion.psu.edu/. If you were manually added to an ANGEL course without registration, you may end up having no grades because you are still “unregistered” on record.
7. If you add or drop a course, changes in ANGEL’s course roster are NOT immediate but will be reflected between 24 hours after add/drop.
8. ANGEL system performs daily maintenance from 4:00 to 6:00 a.m. U.S. Eastern Time, during which time ANGEL will be unavailable.
Email to and from ANGEL
9. Although look alike, ANGEL mail and PSU webmail are two separate mailboxes. This means by default you will have to log on to ANGEL to see an email sent from an ANGEL course/group. To simplify this approach, you can forward ANGEL mail to PSU webmail. Technically, you can forward ANGEL mail to any non-‐Penn State email address, but based on past experiences, Penn State webmail works the best.
10. You can add the Course Mail tool to My Profile page. This tool will collect all ANGEL mail and place them in one place so that you don’t have to check the message course by course. For detailed instructions, please refer to the handout Edit My Profile Page at.
11. If you have forwarded ANGEL mail to Penn State webmail, the “Reply to All” link would allow you to reply to the sender only.
12. If your Penn State webmail cannot read an attached file, you can always download a good copy of the attachment from ANGEL > the course > Communicate tab > Inbox.
13. Not all professors use ANGEL’s gradebook. But if they do, grades and comments entered on ANGEL should be visible to you immediately. If not, contact your instructor to check the release time of that grade.
14. If you need to submit a homework assignment to an ANGEL’s dropbox, please make sure you complete the submission process described in Submitting a File to Dropbox. If the process is not complete, the instructor will not be able to find the submission.
15. Other frequently read articles for students can be found by clicking the category to the right of this text: ANGEL – STUDENTS.
16. Each ANGEL course has a space limit of 1.5 GB shared among all users (instructors, TAs, students, everyone) in the course. Please be aware of file size and how it may affect others before uploading a media file.
To fill out a work order form, please click on Help! at the top of this page.