What is Ben Listening To? Das Racist

I have always had a very varied taste in music. Since I’ve started college, my library has only expanded. In fact, one of the most pleasurable surprises of living in the dorms my freshman year has been discovering new artists through those around me. We all have different backgrounds, and thus different tastes in the arts. Discovering this has been a rewarding experience throughout these first two semesters.

However, for my first passion blog entry, I want to introduce a group that I discovered independently years ago, and which I feel a certain connection to. That group is the alternative hip-hop trio Das Racist. I enjoy their music for many reasons, and I feel connected to them for even more.

First, Das Racist isn’t like many other rap groups. Their lyrics intertwine complex philosophical and academic themes that often comment on social trends with witty, if not simply goofy, jokes. This juxtaposition is the core of Das Racist, and it’s one that has confused critics. For example, in “People are Strange”, they rap, “People is redrum/Redrum is murder/Meat is murder/People are burgers/Transitive property: People are murder.” It’s a complex line that both relies on intricate word play while, at a more abstract level, insinuating something dark about the nature of humans.

Secondly, I appreciate DR because they aren’t a “stereotypical” rap group, and their diverse identity provides unique music. The trio is composed of two Indian Americans and one Hispanic American. They met at Wesleyan University, where they lived on a floor dedicated to diversity. (Had I not attended Penn State, I would have gone to Wesleyan, so I feel even more of a connection to DR). Their name — Das Racist — comes from all of the subtly racist things they would see in everyday life. Whenever they saw such an example, they’d call out “that’s racist”.

A line in their song “hahahaha jk” illuminates this ethos. Members Heems and Kool AD rap: “We not racist/We love white people/Ford trucks, apple pies, bald eagles/Yeah, Cheetos, Doritos, Fritos, Pringles, Kraft singles, Slim Jim, Sierra Mist.” Here they sarcastically state that they aren’t racist because they love all of these stereotypically American things. But this, in their implied opinion, is a very shallow view towards another culture: despite saying they’re not prejudice, he plays only towards American norms. This is the root of racism, or maybe more accurately cultural ignorance, in 21st century America.

That’s a very perceptive take for three rappers from Queens. Commercially, Das Racist never garnered massive success. I think this is because they so deftly defy the norm. Maybe some of their intellect sails over the heads of their listeners. Or maybe not everyone appreciates their simultaneously critical and farcical mood. Regardless, I suggest giving Das Racist a listen; you may learn a thing or two.