What is Ben listening to? Deltron 3030

T0o many rappers, it seems, spit verses on money, women, violence, and cars. You’re hard pressed these days to find an emcee who speaks to the corruptions of society, the threats that a military-industrial complex pose, and the issues that arise from potentially dangerous increases in technology.

But few rappers are like Del the Funkee Homosapien, the solo act behind the hip-hop trio Deltron 3030. Del and his gang, producer Dan the Automator and turntablist Kid Koala, have released two albums to their name. Their first album, self-titled Deltron 3030, released all the way back in 2000, is my favorite rap album of all time (excuse the hyperbole, it’s true). I’ve listened to the entire track list in one sitting countless times since I discovered it over two years ago. (Their second album, released thirteen years after the release of the first was wholly mediocre, failing in comparison to its predecessor).

Deltron 3030, the album, takes place in the dystopian future of the year 3030. It’s a concept album: Del the Funkee Homosapien assumes the roles of Deltron Zero, a rebellious government worker. “In the year 3030” (as the first song, “3030”, begins), the government controls all aspects of life. Music is censored, humans are emotionless, and basic rights are decimated. The government has made all of its citizens mechanical workers, whose sole purpose is to serve the state. But fortunately our fearless hero, Deltron Zero, serves as the listener’s tour guide of this war torn world, as well as a champion rap battler. By the end of the album, he becomes the Galactic Rhyme Federation Champion, and is able to return to Earth.

Additionally, in a special touch of both grandeur and musical precision, Deltron records his music with a full orchestra. This results in powerful instrumental interludes that enforce the notion that this album is just a little bit different. He also tours with a thirty member orchestra, a true spectacle to see live.

It’s a little wacky, sure, but that’s part of the charm. Nevertheless, it’s an interesting exposé, I believe into our own culture. That’s not to say we live in a world where the government controls and mechanizes all of its workers. But, in Del’s mind at least, we may be headed down that path. More than anything, his view of the future is one in which creativity is censored. And that’s a pretty bleak outlook, for creativity is what he most thrives off of.

Listening to this album, I am always reminded of George Orwell’s dystopian novel, 1984. In a manner similar to Deltron’s, the government surveys the entire population, and controls all means of production. I had come to this conclusion by myself, but, while researching the group for this post, I wasn’t surprised to see that Del credits Orwell for much of his inspiration.

In an interview with a San Francisco based website, he’s quoted as saying, “George Orwell is the main author and he pretty much informs all the art I put out, simply because our minds work in a similar fashion, as far as figuring out how human nature can work if certain things go the way they have been.”

It takes a few tries to fully understand and appreciate Deltron 3030. But once you do, it’s certainly worth the effort.