My Two Cents on the “Felina”

There’s been a lot of talk about the “Breaking Bad” series finale, “Felina”. The build up was unlike that of any T.V. event I’d ever witnessed, and once the show concluded, thousands of reviews hit the Internet in a matter of minutes. For the most part, this concluding episode, along with the series as a whole, was deemed “ideal” (Hank Steuver, Washington Post) and “perfect” (Brian Merchant, Vice).

I, however, disagree.

First, let me preface with the fact that this was the first “Breaking Bad” episode I was able to watch live. In its own right, this is an accomplishment. I achieved the goal that this blog initially was meant to document: my attempt to catch up before the finale. I spent long, hard hours in front of my computer streaming on Netflix the first 61 episodes. Finally, with mere hours to spare before the finale, I completed the penultimate episode “Granite State.” Invigorated yet physically and emotionally fatigued from this sixty-day marathon to catch up, I took a nap, and then settled into the Simmons T.V. lounge for the finale.

Thus, I was sick of “Breaking Bad” before the final episode even started. I had come to see individual episodes solely as blocks of time with high opportunity costs that should have been spent doing something more productive. Watching the show is fun, but it’s a lot more stressful when you feel that you need to watch before time runs out. So, as I readied myself for “Felina”, I was already eager for it to end.

There’s been a multitude of reviews from those infinitely more qualified than me explaining why the finale was a perfect ending to a perfect show, or why Walt’s exit and death further demonstrated how much smarter he is than everyone in Albuquerque. I’m not here to agree or disagree. To me, the finale consisted of a rushed and defeated Walt partially finishing his unfinished business: he threatened some people, killed some more, and poisoned one other; the end.

By the final scene, Walt lay motionless in a meth lab. My peers around me shuttered in awe of the cinematography, some shed tears, while others mourned the death of a beloved character and T.V. show. Unmoved, I felt like an outsider.

I took a very different approach than most while watching “Breaking Bad”. I watched in hurried and distracted increments. I was never as invested as those who had been with the show for years. Therefore, I think this demonstrates an interesting commentary about our modern society: we get really, really invested in cultural phenomena that don’t matter at all.