A guiding vision of Sites at Penn State is to give anyone at within the university a way to publish on the web and express themselves. Part of that expression includes the visual aesthetic of your content. On Sites at Penn State you are free to chose from 58 different themes. In this post I’ll highlight 9 of these themes we offer which make it incredibly easy to create a beautiful blog almost instantaneously.
Sixteen Nine Pro
The Sixteen Nine Pro theme is a simple blog theme which allows for a custom background and an optional left sidebar.
Examples sites at Penn State using Sixteen Nine Pro:
- India Experience 2014 – study abroad travel blog
- English 202C: Technical Communication – course site
- Stop Bullying – Facts, Stores, and Solutions – anti-bullying blog by World Campus student Amber Ohara
Theophilus is a bare minimalist blog theme
A playful, sweet theme with art and illustration
- Amy’s Odyssey in Instructional Design – e-portfolio
- Sam’s Blog – student’s summer LEAP blog
- An Intern’s Adventures in New York City – student summer internship experience blog
Twenty Thirteen is a default WordPress theme with large type and a vibrant color scheme. Be sure to use post formats to get the full potential of this theme.
Quatro is a theme with a craftsman like look and modern design, along with a vintage background in the content.
Ryu is a clutter-free theme for personal bloggers. It has great readability with a large font size, and the one-column layout is perfect for displaying large images.
Ryu is a new-comer to Sites at Penn State, so we don’t have any specific Penn State examples however feel free to browse the official Ryu demo site.
Twenty Fourteen is another default WordPress theme. It is focused on creating a magazine type website with areas for featured content, but is also simple enough to be used as a minimalistic blog theme.
- Literature of the Land – course blog
- Gardens, Villas, and Landscapes of Northern Italy – student passion blog for course
- Week in // Week out – student passion blog
Cleanr is clean, minimalistic, and ready to start using immediately. It also includes an easy options panel which allows for quick a quick way to customize the headline and body font.
- Department of Geography News and Events – departmental blog
- Morocco & Egypt – student regional focus project
- Childhood Obesity Prevention Training – training fellowship program blog
Adelle is a soft, minimalist two-column theme with a pink confetti header and ready for your to begin blogging immediately.
Adelle is another new-comer to Sites at Penn State, so we don’t have any featured Penn State sites however feel free to checkout the official Adelle demo site.