We just released WordPress 4.1 ‘Dinah’ onto Sites at Penn State.  This major update to WordPress includes an improved “distraction-free” writing mode for writers as well a new theme Twenty Fifteen.   Twenty Fifteen is a minimal, blog focused theme which includes the ability to change color schemes via the Theme Customizer (found under Appearance > Customize).

Screenshot of the twenty fifteen

Twenty Fifteen theme with our default “Blue and White” color scheme.

For more information about updates to WordPress 4.1 see the official release post on WordPress.org.

Hiding sites from My Sites dropdown

A common complaint we have received is that the My Sites dropdown menu at the top of the page can get too long or cluttered, making it difficult to quickly navigate to the site the user which to go to.   Also, many times a user will be added to a site without for which they do not need/want access to which results in even more confusing My Sites menu.

To fix this we have added a way for users to hide individual sites from the My Sites dropdown.  To hide a site click on My Sites in the top menu bar to go to My Sites listing.

My sites screenshot

List of sites

Beside each site there is a checkbox to hide the Site from your My Sites dropdown.  Checking this box will only hide the site from your top menu;  you will still retain access to the site at whatever user level you have on the site.

Other Updates

• Upgrade The Events Calendar + Pro plugin to version 3.9
  • Upgrade ML Slider plugin to version 3.2.1
  • Upgrade Twenty Eleven theme to version 2.0
  • Upgrade Twenty Ten theme to version 1.8
  • Upgrade Twenty Twelve theme to version 1.6
  • Upgrade Organic Connect theme to version 1.2.1
  • Upgrade Organic Structure theme to version 3.1.3
  • Upgrade Canvas theme to version 5.9.0
  • Removed the Moveable Type (Blogs@PSU) Importer