C.I.- Spanking vs. Abuse Continued..

So I came across this nifty website: http://kidjacked.com/legal/spanking_law.asp

It gives the specific spanking laws for each state. However there is something that i’ve noticed after skimming a few of them, and that is that they are all very vague and broad. Most of the laws include words like “reasonable and appropriate” when describing ways in which to physically discipline your child. I, for one, don’t think this is good enough. The extent to which one parent believes is “reasonable and appropriate” can COMPLETELY differ from another parents. Say you have a parent who has a child that shoplifts and this parent punishes them by smacks on the hand. Now say you have another parent with another child who commits the same act of shoplifting, but what they consider “reasonable and appropriate” is 50 whoopings on the bare behind of a child with a paddle. Heck, in some countries the penalty for stealing is cutting off the persons hand! Now, places like Arkansas and Florida (and some others) are more detailed in explaining what is appropriate/moderate punishment and what is not. These states give details that specify the limits on injury of a child due to physical punishment like “willful acts that produce the following specific injuries: sprains, dislocations, or cartilage damage; bone or skull fractures; brain or spinal cord damage; intracranial hemorrhage or injury to other internal organs; asphyxiation, suffocation, or drowning; injury resulting from the use of a deadly weapon; burns or scalding; cuts, lacerations, punctures, or bites; permanent or temporary disfigurement; or permanent or temporary loss or impairment of a body part or function.”-Florida Spanking Law

I could include other quotes like these, but what I am emphasizing for this blog post is what the majority of the states are using to define their laws. If you take a moment to scroll down the page of the website i’ve provided you can see that most of the laws for the states are rather short and underdeveloped. Then again, it is arguable that something like spanking vs. abuse is a touchy subject because the line between spanking and abuse can be misinterpreted very differently across peoples and cultures. What do you guys think? Should there be one general, yet detailed and specifically outlined law on spanking for the entire country rather than the separated state laws?

090904-spank

6 responses to “C.I.- Spanking vs. Abuse Continued..