RCL #7: The Power of Images

As reading this compelling novel by Addario came to a fascinating end, I reflected on her writing and how it can impact me in the future, with my writing and in the real world.

Addario’s powerful use of language does a marvelous job of consuming the audience’s emotions throughout the course of the novel. However, what makes Addario stand out from the rest of the writing world is her incredible talent behind a camera, which she so thoughtfully shared with us in various sections of the book. Not only can she use text to give reader’s a visual on her experiences, she can also portray her life and her work through powerful images she has captured.

I find it challenging to pick just two of my favorite photos that Addario included in this book. One that really stood out to me was the photo on page 18 of the picture insert between textual pages 210 and 211. This is a photo captured of a young boy with wounds all around his head. This heart wrenching image portrays the pain and suffering of the middle eastern countries as seen through the eyes of a child. His face shows the agony of not only him, but of the generations that have come before him. I appreciate Addario’s efforts to expose the emotions of children, making American’s aware that the war was not only affecting the Taliban, but innocent sons and daughters.

Another photo that captured my attention more than others was the image on page 24 of the picture insert between textual pages 210 and 211. It captures members of the United States military surrounding a deceased U.S. marine. Personally, this photo brings out a lot of raw emotions. My oldest brother has been serving in the military for quite a while now. Thankfully, he has remained safe. However, countless members he has served alongside have lost their lives. It is a hardship that many Americans are not exposed to concerning war. Addario does an outstanding job at capturing the moment for all that it is, a true American tragedy.

While my blog about serial killers cannot nearly grab at reader’s emotions the way this novel can, the images I include with my writings can do a wonderful job at giving my readers visuals of these sick criminals and all they stand for. I find that staring into the eyes of these killers gives me a deeper understanding into their world and why they do the things that they do, and that is exactly what I want to communicate in my blogs.

2 thoughts on “RCL #7: The Power of Images

1. Hi Sophia!
    I really like how you discussed the statements that Addario’s photos make, both emotional and political. Not only do Addario’s photos create emotion, but they reveal the true cost of war for the people of the Middle East and our soldiers. Your personal connection to the second photo makes it even more meaningful for you in a way that is unique to me.
    Also, your passion blog is about cereal killers and thats super interesting! I’m seriously going to go read it now because I’m really intrigued.
    – Liz

2. Hey Sophia! I don’t know what you meant about your blog not being able to grab the reader’s emotions like the novel because after reading through the posts about Jeffrey Dahmer and Jack the Ripper, I can assure you that your blog evoked feelings of both disgust towards and fear of these killers from me. As you mentioned, the pictures in your blog definitely help show the creepier sides of these murderers, especially when you include pictures of their mugshots. These despicable killers look like anyone else on the street and that really builds fear in your audience.
    Going back to Addario though, I totally agree that Addario used her photos to show the American public that the war was also killing innocent lives as well as many American soldiers. By taking these photos, Addario’s could spur guilt and outrage from the American public which would drive a deep consideration into the war’s future.