The Purpose of this Website
Found throughout these pages is documentation of my educational philosophy, experience, and accomplishments as told through my own voice and the voices of my colleagues, students, and community members. This site serves to provide a glimpse into who I am as a teacher. In brief:
- A professional dedicated to the field of Education and to the students and communities we serve.
- Dedicated to continuous professional development for myself and others. I have directed the development and execution of over 110 professional development events focused on bridging the gap between rigorous educational research and practice across multiple domains, including Encouraging Girls in Science, Mathematics, RTII, Adolescent Literacy, and Turn Around Schools. These events engaged over 8,000 educators in the Mid-Atlantic region and maintained a mean satisfaction score of 4.4 out of 5.
- Skilled in the use of technology for classroom applications and in seamless integration of technology in curricula. I have developed and implemented site based professional development opportunities related to the pedagogical use of Microsoft Office, web design, interactive whiteboards, remote learning solutions, disruptive technologies, and the Internet.
- An awarded teacher, having received Initially Licensed Teacher of the Year (Zebulon G/T Magnet Middle School, 2001), Teacher of the Month Award (Cary Chamber of Commerce, January 2002), Excellence in Teaching Award (West Cary Middle School, November 2001) and having been officially nominated by community members for the Disney American Teacher Award (2001) in my first two years of classroom teaching.
- Experienced with fully inclusive classrooms and volunteer regularly in inclusive out-of-school time settings. I received a You Make A Difference Award presented by the Special Education Staff of Zebulon G/T/ Magnet Middle School in March of 2001 in recognition of efforts to minimize the obstacles that exist for full participation by students with differing abilities.
- A seasoned presenter with experience providing professional development across a broad range of topics and settings, including formal professional development with attendance ranging from 15 to 450 participants and multiple conference presentations focused on classroom application of rigorous research evidence related to science and math.
- Most of all, a teacher, who loves his work, his students, and his profession.
Select Quotes from Parents, Students, Administrators, and Community Members
- Brad Zdenek is a bright, articulate, energetic, optimistic colleague. His technology knowledge and skills are broad and impressive, and are at a high level that is rare, especially among people with his academic preparation – Kyle Peck (Professor & Colleague)
- I frequently received phone calls from parents wanting me to know that while their children never liked school before, they came home talking about “Mr.Z” and his class. Mr. Zdenek’s knowledge of children coupled with his unique style of teaching and his incorporation of the various learning styles will help him be an effective instructional leader. – Jennifer Carnes (Assistant Principal)
- When I met you this year and saw how you taught, I thought, “that’s the way I want to teach.” So … even though you are much younger than me, you have been an inspiration to me as well as to your students. – Kim Z. (Parent and Teacher)
- You’ve inspired me that I can be an even better person than I am now. You’ve also taught me that one person can change the world if they have inspiration and determination. – Diana C. (Student)
- You have so many wonderful talents and we are blessed that you are willing to share them with us. – Jim Watt (Easter Seals Central PA Senior Development Associate)
- See more on the Testimonials page