5 thoughts on “Power Proofreading and Editing Tips

1. Firstly, this article went almost completely against every proofreading/editing method I’ve ever learned prior to college. Before college (and occasionally at PSU) there seemed to be an everlasting effort on making one’s piece of writing more appealing. How was this accomplished? Through adding more words than necessary, using a thesaurus to add complexity to diction, and finding cool adverbs.

After reading this article I’m beginning to contemplate how I went about proofreading. I found that removing passive voice was relatively obvious, however, it is often overlooked because it’s widely accepted and understood. What took me by surprise was reading aloud and waiting until the following day to proofread. I liked how the writer takes on proofreading from all perspectives, including verbal, practical, and respective appearance. I attached the link below, which offers University of Wisconsin’s take on the timeline of proofreading and the approaches one should take before, during, and after.

https://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/Proofreading.html

2. I believe many students skip proofreading because it is a time-consuming activity that requires you to think about a clear message and your main point for writing. When I write, I hate proofreading because I know half of the sentences and ideas don’t make sense in a cohesive manner. Proofreading, however, is essential to any piece of writing because you can write whatever you want, but does it make sense?
    Some of the tips Mr. Dustin Wax offers are ones that I use every time I write an essay, specifically “Sleep on it” and “Read out loud”. Another technique I like is working with a partner to proofread each other’s work. I was a writer for my high school newspaper and we would use this technique. I found this very helpful because my partner would often find little grammatical errors or awkwardly phrased sentences that my brain overlooked.

3. This article stood out to me because I really value proofreading and editing when I write papers and articles. I thought the author made a really good point in saying that the real work in writing is in the editing, and I believe that to be very true. I find myself writing whatever comes to my head when I first start out a paper, but when I finish, most of my thoughts are not well organized and out of place. This is where the proofreading and editing comes in, where I go back through my work and try and organize my thoughts so my audience can clearly understand where I am coming from. I also saw some similarities between the tips that the author included and some of the things that I do when I go through and edit my work, including reading my work out loud, waiting overnight to edit, and cutting rather than adding. I hope to continue to use these strategies in the future, but I also think that I can implement some other tips that were listed into my future papers when it comes to editing and proofreading.

4. I believe proofreading is an underrated writing tactic, especially when students are on a class timeline. In high school when I was a yearbook editor, we spent an entire academic year editing our proofs over and over until we physically could not look at them any more. But, this method produced quality work.
    I liked this article’s point about eliminating anything that doesn’t add value to our work. Often times, students including myself tend to keep content that shows our overall knowledge on a particular subject, even if it’s unrelated. We don’t realize that this practice makes it much more difficult for the reader to be engaged.
    My favorite re-writing tactic is printing out a piece of digital writing as a hard copy to edit. Going from digital to hard copy creates an illusion for me that the document is brand new, and I’m more attentive to detail when editing.

5. The article by Dustin Wax highlights the fact that editing a writing is a skill that needs to be developed. Editing makes a writing more effective, helping the readers to understand more easily. Of course, the unnecessary words need to be removed in order to make writings more concise. A lengthy writing might overwhelm the readers and they might feel awkward while reading. One way to find the awkwardness is to read out the writings out loud so that the writers could have a sense about how the writing actually is and how does it sound. Wax’s tips also suggest that sentences could be short if we do not use unnecessary adverbs and use active rather than passive sentences. All these minor mistakes could be caught by reading our own writings out loud and it would be much more effective if we read after a short break of at least one day. If we follow his tips we would do good with our writings both in our school and professional life.