The Science Behind How Fonts Make You Feel

Want to have an impact with your resumes, reports and websites?  Make the best font choices.   This article breaks it all down, from the science behind how we read to why some fonts can make us feel good (or bad).

Check it out: http://blog.pickcrew.com/the-science-behind-fonts-and-how-they-make-you-feel/

12 thoughts on “The Science Behind How Fonts Make You Feel

1. This was an interesting article to me given my small background in graphic design and fascination with psychology. Whenever I finish writing I always find myself stuck trying to decide what font to use. The human brain naturally wants to piece together information in the most efficient way possible, and choosing the right font can make all the difference in how readers perceive your writing. The article provides an excellent side-by-side comparison of two different websites, where one is straightforward and clean while the other is riddled with ads. Fonts can even have negative connotations associated with them and are unofficially banned from being used in any serious context. It reminds me of a funny SNL skit where the main character becomes obsessed with a movie’s use of the Papyrus font in its title:

2. Before reading this article, I never know that the font have such a big influence on us. I used to think that font can only subtly affect our mood, and only the content of article will determine how we read it. It is surprising to know that there are study showing font can “scientifically” affect our reading ability. This study reminds me of another study mentioned in article called “How typefaces influence perception and persuasion ”. According to that study, even the exactly same article can have different level of credibility just because of the different font it uses. Both of the studies tell us the importance of font and make me want to learn more about what font should be used in specific situation.

http://www.mdgadvertising.com/blog/how-typefaces-influence-perception-and-persuasion/

3. After reading this article, I recognize that there is a true meaning behind fonts and what they actually represent. I would compare this article to one that we watched for class regarding fonts: https://psu.box.com/s/zo9bn53vh6sebgw71hgo0y7zyrqz3ops (Links to an external site.)
    It makes me realize how much actually goes into the creativity behind the minds of individuals, especially in the advertising world. Whatever decision you make while choosing a font, you must consider the audience and everything else that comes into play. Overall, this was a very interesting article that did a great job of displaying the tactics of fonts. It really caught my attention because I had just recently altered my opinion regarding fonts and how people perceive them, all due to the article I posted above. I really recommend for all marketing and advertising majors to watch it because I believe it will sway their opinion and intrigue them as well.

4. I really enjoyed the content of this article. I knew there was a method behind selecting fonts,
    but I was not quite certain how it was done. After reading the article, I have a deeper understanding of how fonts can influence someone to feel a distinct way.

It is strange to think we have become so accustomed to certain fonts in different situations. For example, how the U.S. Government always utilizes Helvetica in their tax forms. I hadn’t consciously taken notice to all the fonts until after reading the article.

There was a similar article published. It is titled, “Why Fonts Matter.” It was a TED talk explaining the same importance’s, and how we are persuaded every day by fonts.

5. Before reading this article, I was not aware of how a font can influence one’s opinion on a writing piece more than the actual content itself. As I read and observed the side-by-side comparisons of identical works, but with different fonts, I became more aware of the importance of fonts. When done right, the words flow better and can give the reader a better comprehension and sense of what the piece’s purpose is. Now when I write I will be sure to consider the aesthetic appeal of my work, in addition to the content.

6. I never thought about the possibility that there was a science behind fonts. From class lectures and my own personal experiences, I assumed it was more of an art form. However, I could relate to may of the points in the linked article about the emotions and level of comprehension based on font, spacing, and format.

With the boom in technology and increasing prevalence of people reading off a screen rather than off a piece of paper, font style is critical to portraying one’s message clearly and in the way that the author wants to express to the audience. If people feel as if a document is boring, untrustworthy, or poorly organized due to its font, the message of that work is almost completely lost. This article further discusses the effect font has on emotion and readability: http://sites.psu.edu/annafrancesca/oil-the-fed-and-a-whole-lot-of-volatility/#comment-2

7. As a marketing major, I am rather intrigued with how words are portrayed and the effects that that has on the mind and the emotions. I was most interested in how, as people, we make associations with certain layouts and fonts that can have an effect on our entire opinion of a writing piece. When the blog post showed the example of the alternative Impact Font for the Bank of America website, I could feel myself getting anxiety from the supposedly ‘screaming biased’ font. It resonated with me as being somewhat of an aggressive font that lacked fact and empathy, which are two things you expect from your bank. The font would have turned me off from choosing Bank of America. Similarly, comparing two clothing websites, one being freepeople.com and twinkledeals.com, it is clear that the Free People website is much more appealing. The font and design is calming and artsy, the home page is simple and there is no clutter from other ads on the page. The twinkledeals home page is hectic and crowded. There is a lot going on on the page and there are various coupon codes in different locations. The styles of the two websites coordinate well with their pricing and quality, so what you see is what you expect. The Free People website has to work harder at creating an appealing palette for the eyes in order to justify their pricey line of clothing and draw consumers in.

8. Prior to reading this blog post, I was writing an email for which I had to copy and paste content from different documents. Before sending, I made sure to select all so that I could make everything the same color, font shape and size. The email included an action item that needed to get done by another executive board member. Therefore, I felt it would hurt my credibility to send an unappealing font collection in an email.
    Prior to reading this blog post, nobody has explicitly has told me that font choice is that crucial. I guess from all my personal exposures and experiences in reading online materials with a variety of fonts, I have begun to identify how I perceive different font choices.
    Another thing this article made me start thinking about was the reading tablets, such as the Nook or the Kindle. I bought a Nook and very much did not enjoy it. Maybe its flaw was that because it uses one font that is set by default on the device that often times it doesn’t match the content of the book – the attitude and the personality it’s suppose to convey. But, of course- tech developers aren’t dumb. They’ve thought this through: http://help.barnesandnoble.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1446/~/changing-the-margins,-font-size,-type-and-color-on-nook-color,-tablet,-and. Again, showing the importance of fonts and text layouts.

9. Before viewing the video on font choice and reading this blog post and article I did not know that there was so much emphasis placed on font choice. I normally stuck to the defaults or classic, well-known font styles that we were required to use throughout school. The facts given make a lot of sense and have forced me pay to more attention to fonts I see and use in daily life. To follow along with different medias, tones, and platforms any writer must consider when choosing their font, the article listed below specifies a little more by breaking down fonts into 5 groupings even past serif and sans serif. Their categories include geometric, humanist, old style, transitional, modern and slab serifs that are all explained in detail about their purpose and when to use them.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/12/14/what-font-should-i-use-five-principles-for-choosing-and-using-typefaces/

10. I think it is fascinating that there is so much to say about fonts and that fonts also have so much to say just in each letter and style. The fact that when writing specific documents you could send the wrong message just in the font, that really leaves me scratching my head. The more I read and learn about the importance of font choice, the more it makes sense and I realize that each font really does have a different, almost, attitude to it.