4 thoughts on “Why You Should Read Your Writing Out Loud

1. In my opinion, the most powerful statement made in this video was when Bill said: “say things that are worth paying attention too.” Reading your work out loud truly brings this statement to life, because reading something may seem a lot better than it sounds. I tend to add a lot of fluff to my writing, not on purpose, but because I am stuck in a bad habit. Reading my work out loud brings to my attention how often I repeat myself and how unnecessary half the words I use are. It is my goal this semester to read more of my work out loud, because doing so, I believe I will be able to remove the fluff and say the things worth paying attention too.

2. What Bill said is so relatable to me as a non-native English speaker. Whenever I had a chance, I have always read my writing out loud, and let a native speaker review it. This way, I could make sure that my writing is in the right tone, with the right diction, and is readable. It really helped me get the feel of English.
    After reading the article The Art of Paragraph in class, I realized that we can also write the way we speak. In the article, the author writes it as if every time he pauses to take a breath, he moves on to another paragraph. This is like we do what Bill said, but in reverse order. I find this very intriguing.

3. Bill makes a great point when he says ” the best way to get people to pay attention to what you have to say is to say things in a way that are worth paying attention to.” People spend hours on social media everyday constantly scrolling past posts and tweets, so it can be difficult not only as an individual but as a company to be heard through different digital mediums. I feel like reading your writing aloud can be a extremely valuable technique to improving writing skills and grasping your audience’s attention with your work. It will be a technique I plan on using in the future as I write more often.

4. I completely agree with everything Bill had to say here and I’ve even done some of the things that he mentioned with my own writing. So many times when I have written an essay, email, or even a text message, I notice so many mistakes when I go back and read it out loud, rather than when I just skim through it in my head. The article I have linked at the end of this paragraph also highlights the importance of reading aloud, but also adds on to that, by making the suggestion of reading the piece of writing backwards, sentence by sentence, or paragraph by paragraph. I think that is a fantastic idea, because by doing that, you aren’t focused on the ideas but rather the words themselves, which enables you to pick up on more mistakes that you may have made. http://writing.umn.edu/sws/quickhelp/process/editing.html