Love Your Emails

We don’t often feel love when we open our in-boxes.

William Arruda tells us how to write emails that people will look forward to in “10 Ways To Get People to Love Your Emails,” published in Forbes Magazine.

In honor of Valentine’s Day, let’s show our emails some love.

6 thoughts on “Love Your Emails

1. Since I’ve gotten to college, I found that communication via email is a skill I will need to adapt. I was not an avid user of email before and didn’t realize how important it is. Though, I’ve needed to adapt and have learned a lot about it. There is always more to learn and this article along with class has helped me a lot. I now am much more comfortable with sending emails and making them as effective as I can.

2. This article was particularly interesting to me. As a person who is about to enter the business world, email is the primary form of communication for people in business. With people very busy, it is more important than ever to have effective, yet concise emails to get your message across without wasting peoples times. This article does a good job laying out what tips you should use when writing emails. The tips that I took to be the most important and effective were use bullets and numbers, and keeping subject line up to date. It is very annoying when someone is asking for a list or group of things, and they aren’t laid out in bullet points. Also, email readers judge emails by their subject line, and if it isn’t accurate and up to date, it doesn’t convey an accurate message and doesn’t convey the urgency.

3. As a senior in college, I have been in the process of communicating through email to potential businesses I want to work for. Throughout my time at Penn State I have learned there are a range of writing styles via email. This article has mentioned tactics on how to write your emails more effectively.

A few tips I found interesting were using bullets add clarity to your messages and allow the readers to focus on important information. Using numbers instead of bullets to highlight a chronology. It is important to make the email clear and concise as possible.

4. As a junior who is seeking an internship, I found this article to be extremely useful. In recent history I have written a great deal of emails that range in style. Writing follow up emails to potential employers and interviews is one of the most important steps that I have taken to find an internship. This article talks about the importance of subject lines and has taught me some new aspects about the importance of this topic. During the interviewing process, I have found that I was struggling with the formatting of follow up emails and what exactly should be stated in this type of email. The formatting and the “make it easy” section of the article were very beneficial.

5. During my time here at Penn State, communicating via email has been a major part of my experience. When I came in as a freshman, sending emails was not something I was very familiar with. Over the years I have gotten much better and more familiar with email correspondence. However, from this article and previous class discussion, I have learned that there are a lot of strategic tactics I can use to make my emails more effective.

The most applicable tips in my opinion are mastering the subject line and being as clear and concise as possible. Being that no one enjoys reading long, vague or unclear emails it is clear that these tips will improve the effectiveness of the message and save people time.

6. With graduation coming up and entering the corporate world soon after, emails seem definitely the way to go for communication, and this article by William Arruda helps a lot. In the business world, it is definitely necessary to pass on information in the most efficient, concise but still productive way possible.
    Some of the methods from the article that I have used which have undoubtedly proved to be extremely beneficial are proof reading while reading out aloud and using bullets and numbers. These help to make sure that the correct information is sent out and is put forward in a way to focus on the most important information of the email.

There a lot of new things for a student just entering the business world can learn from this article. EOM is a completely new thing for me, and I see that being beneficial as it helps pass on information seemingly without even opening the message. Pause is something we can greatly appreciate as we have seen that in the past it hasn’t really helped out anyone. With an example being a previous blog post of the LinkedIn rejection. This can really help people take a step back and avoid any future unmendable repercussions.