Kissing Coppers

kissing-coppers-banksy-439797_854_680

Everyone has his or her own opinion on homosexuality. Based on this opinion, one might cringe, be unaffected, or even laugh upon encountering this stencil. Most of Banksy’s works cause the audience to question a societal norm. The same can be said for this piece, but the definite question raised is unclear. “Kissing Coppers” was first unveiled in 2004 in Brighton, England on the wall of the Prince Albert Pub. The stencil was removed from the pub wall in 2011, and was replaced by a replica. “Kissing Coppers” recently sold for $575,000 at an auction in Miami. Banksy has always displayed his inherent distaste for authority. However, this stencil can be viewed from many different perspectives. Is he poking fun at the police? Is Banksy commenting on homophobia? Is he showing the other side of authority, the humanistic characteristics, which he fails to recognize in his other works?

In my opinion, Banksy’s work contains many underlying messages. I do believe that this stencil shows the authority in a different light. Policemen are often thought of as masculine and macho. This piece displays the idea that they too have lives and loves. It gives the authorities a less threatening essence. Avoiding the actual sexual interaction, it depicts how much policemen must rely on each other. They truly put their lives in their partners (no pun intended) hands. I respect Banksy for showing authority figures in a more humanistic light, because this view is totally against what he personally believes. That’s why Banksy’s works are world renown; he does not just focus on his beliefs. His intention is not to manipulate others into supporting his opinion, but rather to raise questions on both ends of the spectrum.

From another point of view, this piece emphasizes gay rights. A portion of the audience would find this picture erotic and disturbing. Statistically speaking, there are bound to be a number of homosexual police officers. It is a fact you cannot simply ignore. I believe what Banksy is trying to portray is that it is okay to dislike this piece. I fully support gay rights, however, I do not necessarily fully support this stencil. But he wants you to question your reasoning. Do you dislike it because it is two men, or because it involves too much PDA? Personally, I am turned off by the overt PDA, as I would be for a heterosexual couple as well. Some people state “I don’t mind homosexually, as long as they keep it private and don’t throw it in my face.” People fail to realize that the same can be said of heterosexuality. I don’t know about you, but I never want to see a couple making out with their tongues down each other’s throats (EW!) But, the reality is, I will experience this throughout my life, and there is nothing I can do about it, whether the couple is heterosexual of homosexual. So, at what point do people think it is okay to tell others what they can and cannot do when it comes to love?
Fun Fact: Another artist recreated “Kissing Coppers”; only it displayed two constables kissing. This piece, by Viacheslav Mizin , was one of sixteen pieces to be banned from the Maison Rouge exhibition hall.

4 thoughts on “Kissing Coppers

1. Scott Farabaugh says:

I completely relate to the feeling of being uncomfortable with PDA. While I’m not for homosexuality, I don’t mind it as much when its not intentionally being over-public. And PDA really is just gross. And I also like how you bring to light the side of police supporting each other. I would never think looking at it it was about that, as I immediately think its a statement on homosexuality. Very Insightful!

2. Andrew says:

Statement pieces are important to society. Here you’ve showed us a piece that is going to stir up people, make them think or maybe even talk about their feelings. Homosexuality should be brought up in the lives of those who pretend its a subculture and this is a perfect example of how someone can do this through art.

3. Jeffrey Lorenz says:

I enjoyed reading this blog because believe it or not I was not familiar with the artist Banksy. I like how you were able to analyze his piece of artwork from multiple different perspectives as if you were trying to decode the artist’s slightly hidden message. I want to explore more pieces by Banksy in the future.

4. Rea Mittal says:

It’s really interesting how Banksy can incorporate so many different themes into his work. People can try to interpret all of them and how they work together, or just focus on what impacts them more (a homophobic pov vs the wife of a police chiefs pov). I’m not sure if Banksy was trying to make the police seem less threatening/demean them since there’s some apprehension towards police lately or display their humanity like you said.