Hermione Jean Granger

As far as inspirational characters go, it is safe to say that Hermione stands out as one of the most distinct. Although I have made my claim that Ron is the most relatable character in the series and thus the crowning glory of J.K. Rowling’s invention, Hermione will forever be my personal hero.

Being an avid feminist, I always immensely appreciate the presence of any strong female protagonist. Not only does Hermione epitomize this role, but her dynamic hermione1personality and intelligence lend her to acts of sheer brilliance in all aspects of life. Whether it’s acing an exam (every exam), being in tune with her own emotions and the emotions of those around her, acting with immense courage to protect her friends, her quick-thinking skills to get them out of countless situations, or her unquestionable loyalty–it is safe to say that Hermione is more than just the “brightest witch of her age.” She says it best herself: “Books! And cleverness! There are more important things. Friendship. And bravery.”

Her intellect is something to be admired. But it is not her defining feature. Hermione is so vastly well-rounded that it is impossible to describe her simply. She seems to be so well-composed that she can conquer anything life throws at her. When venturing out with Harry and Ron in their attempt to destroy Voldemort’s remaining horcruxes, she did something I hermione2consider one of the bravest acts in the entire series. She permanently wiped her parents’ brains of all memory of her. To them… she never existed.

Hermione knew that her chance of survival was minimal to say the least. But not only did she embark on this noble journey anyway, she went as far as to lose the people who love her most just to save them suffering. As much as I would like to say that if I suffered an untimely death I would want my family to forget I ever existed and to never feel pain… it just isn’t true. Of course ideally I would never want them to feel pain, even though I know it would be inevitable. But I just can’t wrap my mind around my family forgetting my existence entirely. I found this to be her personal most noble and selfless act, as well as one of the most selfless in the series.

hermione3

I genuinely believe that Hermione Granger is a person to be deeply admired by women everywhere. I have aspired to be like her since the very beginning of my journey with the Harry Potter series. Her immense intellect, cleverness, courage, compassion, loyalty, and ambition should truly serve as an inspiration to all readers. She is the epitome of a strong female protagonist, as well as the epitome of who I long to be. She was my fictional hero growing up. I truly looked up to her and tried to model myself after her. And if anyone could look at me and say they see a fundamental resemblance between the two of us, I would know I’ve done something right.

4 thoughts on “Hermione Jean Granger

1. Hermione is definitely up there in my favorite characters from Harry Potter. I love the way you described her. Her selfless acts were something to remember and take note of. I think she’s a great inspiration for young women (yes, I know she’s fictional!), but if you take her character as a person, I think that she has attributes that many women strive for, and she’s a great fictional role model for girls! Always selfless, but ALWAYS the brains of the operation! I know I admire her!

2. I love Hermione, she is definitely my favorite character. She has so many strengths, not only her intelligence, but her loyalty and bravery. So many people see Ron as Harry’s best friend more, but I think Hermione really is. She is always at Harry’s side even when they fight. She and Harry have many adventures without Ron, like when they saved Sirus in book 3 with the time turner and in the last book when Ron leaves for a while because he gets mad. Hermione is always by Harry’s side and always will be. I totally agree with you that when she wiped her parent’s memory blank, that was here bravest and most selfless moment. Great post!

3. I never thought of Hermione’s act of selflessness until you brought it up in this blog post. Now, reflecting on it, wiping her parents minds was actually HUGE. Wow. How have I never even thought about that before. Another great post. I am glad someone loves Hermione as much as I do.

4. LOVE THIS! Hermione is one of my favorite characters (I mean, I have so many favorites, but she’s definitely one of my MORE favorite favorites). My friends nicknamed me Hermione (Herman and Herms for short ahaha) which I always take as the highest compliment ever, because like you said, who doesn’t want to be more like Hermione? You are so right about Hermione being fantastically well-rounded. It’s true that the first thing we think of is her intellect, but beyond that, there are so many other great character qualities she has. One thing I really love about her is how she grows throughout the books. Not gonna lie, she starts out as sort of a snob, but by the seventh book she has grown up so much from that. Harry and Ron are so lucky to have met her and become friends during the troll experience of their first year 🙂