One CCPP faculty and four students attended the ASME/IGTI Turbo Expo 2015 in Montreal, Canada from June 15-19, 2015. Three CCPP students and graduates presented their work, including Sam Hansford, Janith Samarasinghe, and Alex DeRosa. Papers from CCPP authors included:
- Hansford, S., K. Manoharan, S. Hemchandra, and J. O’Connor, “Impact of Flow Non-Axisymmetry on Swirling Flow Dynamics and Receptivity to Acoustics”
- Samarasinghe, J., S. Peluso, B. Quay, and D. Santavicca, “The 3-D Structure of Swirl-Stabilized Flames in a Lean Premixed Multi-Nozzle Can Combustor”
- DeRosa, A., S. Peluso, B. Quay, and D. Santavicca, “The Effect of Confinement on the Structure and Dynamic Response of Lean-Premixed, Swirl-Stabilized Flames”
- Manoharan, K., S. Hansford, J. O’Connor, and S. Hemchandra, “Instability Mechanism in a swirl flow combustor: Precession of vortex core and influence of density gradient”
- DeRosa, A., J. Samarasinghe, S. Peluso, B. Quay, and D. Santavicca, “Flame Area Fluctuation Measurements in Velocity-Forced Premixed Gas Turbine Flames”
Two of the papers (Hansford et al. and Manoharan et al.) arose from a collaboration between CCPP faculty Dr. Jacqueline O’Connor and India Institute of Science – Bangalore faculty Dr. Santosh Hemchandra. In addition to paper presentations, CCPP members participated in networking sessions and special events. In particular, Dr. Jacqueline O’Connor hosted the Women in Turbomachinery Dinner on Tuesday evening to celebrate diversity in gas turbine engineering fields.