Two days in Xi’an

Xi’an is a city that I have always wanted to visit, due to its long history and constantly mysterious discoveries. Xi’an is known as the ancient capital of China, and it was once to be the most prosperous city in the country. The completely reserved city wall in the city shows Xi’an’s unique culture. We luckily had a chance to cycle on the entire city wall. The city wall was 8.5 miles long, and it took me around 40 minutes to complete one round with the double-seat bike. I have watched lots of ancient Chinese shows on tv when I was young, so I felt like I was riding through the historical scenes on the city wall. Even though we were all feeling sunburn while cycling, the view of Xi’an city on both sides of the wall was totally worth it. I really appreciated the reservation of the city wall after the visit, because it makes the city more charming.

Another outstanding place we visited is the world famous terra cotta warriors and houses. The buries soldiers were presented with dignified appearance. Walking through the 3 pits, I can deeply feel how Qin Dynasty represent a dictatorship at its peak. We have also learned that soldiers have different hair styles based on their army position. It was quite a valuable experience to see one of the eight wonders in the world in person.

Last, we also visited the local food street and tried out the popular local specialties. The street was noisy and crowded due to the competition between sellers and exploration from visitors. We were strongly suggested to check out the Chinese hamburger. It turned out to be quite different than what I expected, but I was glad that I at least tried it.

In conclusion, Xi’an is a very attractive city.

image3 IMG_1270 IMG_1241

Top to bottom: terra cotta warriors, food street and city wall