A Taste of China

The food in China was unlike any other food I’ve eaten before in my life. Before leaving for the trip, I was warned that authentic Chinese food was nothing like American Chinese food, but I still didn’t know what to expect. My first meal in China was a traditional duck dish and I remember being very cautious as I picked what to take from the lazy-Susan to put on my plate based on what I knew I already liked from home. I quickly learned that I would need to get over my fear of trying foreign food, and soon I was tasting nearly everything that was put out on the table. Granted, I didn’t always like everything I tasted, I still gave it a try. Some of the “strangest” food that I tried were sea cucumber, snake, and full fried sardines. I also watched some of my braver friends try foods like chicken feet, fish eyes, scorpions, and silkworm larva. Also, my friends and I made a point to try American chain restaurants that we saw while we were in China, like Pizza Hut, KFC, and Burger King. While places like KFC and Burger King barely tasted any different to me, to my surprise Pizza Hut was a completely different experience in China than what it is in the United States.